Question for SS Brewtech 1/2 bbl Chronical Owners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajgeo

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy the smallest refrigerator that will still fit one of these, but I don't have the actual fermenter yet. Are the 38" Height x 18" Wide dimensions listed the maximum outside dimensions? Does this width include the legs? What about the thermometer and valves? Do they stick out beyond 18"? Will it fit in a 19.64 in. W x 18.89 in. D x 41.92 in. H space? Ss Brewtech has been unresponsive. Thanks!

The dimensions are pretty much spot on - exactly 18 including the legs, and pretty close to 38 with the standard lid (I can't be as precise on that as mine has the FTSs2 lid on it at the moment which is shallower, so I measured the standard lid separately). Of course you'll need head space for your choice of airlock/blow off above the 38", and the 38" doesn't include the adjustable feet; it's from the bottom of the legs. You may get away with slightly less than 18 in width if you have enough depth and orient it at an angle, but you're probably still looking at 17".

It'll be tight in the dims you list, but I think it'll fit so long as your airlock doesn't poke up too high.

I already had a fridge so when it didn't fit I went with the FTSs2 solution and so far have been very happy with it. I'm only 2 batches in on the new gear, so I can't speak to longevity, but it warms and cools like it should...

Thanks for the detailed reply. I selected a slightly bigger fridge that should (based on these numbers) accommodate this fermenter nicely. SSBrewtech responded yesterday with similar measurements. If it fits, I’ll update this post after I have both for others interested in this combo. I don’t want to mess around with a chilling coil. I’m going to pair this with a brewpiless controller. https://www.homedepot.com/p/PREMIUM...or-Beverage-Cooler-in-Gray-PRF125DX/302865827

Very nice! And you'll still get to see the Chronical :yes:

My fridge is a crummy ancient thing that came with the house. I'm going to give it a makeover and turn it into a kegerator :D

A late update as promised. I thought this might be helpful since the Home Depot beverage cooler is still being sold. It fits great with room to spare. I've fermented four batches so far and it works nicely with a brewpiless controller. I would stick with the 12.5 cu ft model though, I think 9cu ft model would be too tight. The cooler is also available on Amazon. It occasionally dropped to the $500-600 range pre Covid. Not sure if that's the case now.
Amazon Link Home Depot Link
IMG_6806 - Copy.jpg
IMG_6804 - Copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back