Question for people who ferment multiple batches in the same ferm chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
Where do you place your probe? And what is the temp you usually use when you used different yeast strains per batch. Swmbo approved me buying a second full sized fridge :D

I delay batches a few days apart so most of the work is done by the time I've brewed again, or using a different yeast/temp profile.
Example I brewed for a wedding and used s05 and Nottingham. Similar temp profiles but I like to put s05 at 64 and Nottingham @ 68. Moved probe to the most active fermenter.

Wanted to do a belgian/saison but didn't have the time for a seperate temp.

I almost always do two different 5g recipes in a brewing day, so I deal with this all the time. The latest was a nearly 100 point stout and a 60 point pale. I'll put the probe on the carboy that's likely the more exothermic - in this case the stout - and let the other one deal with what's in the offing. And occasionally the latter will run a couple of degrees cooler than the former.

For two batches of similar OG I'll pick the one to sport the probe based on past experience with the two yeasts being used, keep an eye on both once they're in the throes of active fermentation, and move the probe to the warmer carboy if I guessed wrong...

Cheers!

ab_aug_02_2014_12.jpg

From experience you have to plan ahead.

Day 1, I brewed a 2 gallon batch of Oyster Stout. Put temp probe on the stout and placed it in my mini fridge. Set temperature for 68 degrees

Day 2, I brewed a 2 gallon batch of Barley Wine. Left the probe on the Oyster Stout.

The temperature of the barley wine rose to 75 at high krausen. I then moved the temperature probe to the barley wine. It lowered the barley wine to 68 degrees. The Oyster Stout's temperature lowered to 60 degrees.

So like Priceless stated waiting a few days between will help prevent the problems that I had.

Both beers are still bottle conditioning so I don't know if the high temperatures and fluctuations affected my beers.

Place probe on youngest beer it'll generate the most heat

This. If I don't brew both on the same day I make sure there's a gap of at least a few days so the first one gets through the majority of fermentation, then the probe goes on the new beer.

Awesome thank you everyone for your responses now to start figuring out what the next two brew days will be :)

Right now I've got 3 batches going at once in a chest freezer set to 18C. I just have the probe hanging in the center getting the ambient temp, but I have a strong fan in there to try and equalize all the temps. I ferment in corny kegs, so the metal conducts the heat better than a normal carboy.

Latest posts

Back