BruControl: Multiple displays of the same device

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swanwick

Reaction score
Rather than get two more temp probes right now, I am going to move two of my three temp probes around for different phases of the brew.
  1. My HERMS out inline temp probe will also be used for the chiller out inline probe during whirlpooling and chilling.....will def need to make sure I do not forget to move as that will leave a hole in the "line". I have extra compression fittings so I only need to move the probe and just screw it in.
  2. My HLT vessel probe will also be used for the BK vessel (all vessels have a thermowell so no danger of leaking out those ports without a probe in)
My question to you fine folks is what is the best way to display the same device value in two different places within my workspace. I want to be able to look at a portion of the digital representation of the physical structure and see the temp in the place where the probe is physically located. Given that its physical location is moving, I need to have it in two different digital places.

I assume I could create a global and then run a separate script to update it from the device value every few seconds, but that seems a bit clunky. Other ideas?

I do that for a couple of pumps. I added an extra mega that is not wired to anything except to connect (ethernet) to control the extra pseudo Elements. For a temp you have to use a Global as the Temp (Analog Elements) are READ ONLY. I wish I could just create Pseudo Elements that act like standard elements but are not physically wired to anything. I have a "housekeeping" loop Script that loops constantly and does not seem to slow my process down (maybe a millisecond or so?). It updates several globals. The only downside I see to using a Global is that it is part of the "Data" set. I do not use the Data yet as I found it does SLOOOOOOOW down my processes and does lockup sometimes.

You can make a Global look exactly like a Temp Probe is you use The Display Type: Digital Gauge under the Appearance:Value Pane of your Global ( an original Temp Probe).

I think in the future you will be able to turn off a Global to read to the data set.

Rather than get two more temp probes right now, I am going to move two of my three temp probes around for different phases of the brew.
  1. My HERMS out inline temp probe will also be used for the chiller out inline probe during whirlpooling and chilling.....will def need to make sure I do not forget to move as that will leave a hole in the "line". I have extra compression fittings so I only need to move the probe and just screw it in.
  2. My HLT vessel probe will also be used for the BK vessel (all vessels have a thermowell so no danger of leaking out those ports without a probe in)
My question to you fine folks is what is the best way to display the same device value in two different places within my workspace. I want to be able to look at a portion of the digital representation of the physical structure and see the temp in the place where the probe is physically located. Given that its physical location is moving, I need to have it in two different digital places.

I assume I could create a global and then run a separate script to update it from the device value every few seconds, but that seems a bit clunky. Other ideas?

You don't need to use a Global... you can use a local variable and an inspector to show its value.

You can use an Inspector without the data overhead of a global. A local variable is only available in the one script, while a global can go across scripts. If you are only displaying the data that would not be an issue. And with a Temp, you can also read the Temp Element in any script. I use globals as place keepers and in different scripts. For a repeat of a Temp, an inspector may a better choice. I just found Globals easier and have not used Inspectors myself.

Back