Question for New England Hop Growers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kketterer

Reaction score
Just a Quick Question. I have planted six Rhizomes a few weeks ago, I started them in pots. They are already 12-14" tall and looking for something to climb. Can I transplant them outside yet? it has been warm here, however We may not be out of the woods with a light frost..... can hops be damaged by frost?

Thanks!

Put them in the ground. They'll be fine. Hops love New England weather. Just to make them really happy, cover with a thick layer of loose mulch like rotted straw. It will help retain heat, but also moisture. I'm also in MA and planted my new rhizomes directly into the ground over a month ago and they're doing great.

Yep. I live in Illinois. Local brewers ask me where I keep my hops in the winter and I say, "in the ground". I worry more about the ones in buckets- which could freeze solid than the ones in the ground(under mulch). Get em in the ground and watch what these things can do!

I got my first from another brewer for free. The rest I've gotten from Freshops in OR. The Witches Brew in Foxboro generally has some in pots for sale also.

Back