Question for Floridians

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarke

Reaction score
My parents live in Tampa Bay - Clearwater area

Whenever I visit, the water is terrible to drink, it is like watered down water, as weird as that is.

Do you guys have to do anything to your water before you brew? I couldn't imagine the water that comes from their tap would make good beer.

I live in the next county over. I couldn't find a good water report for our city water, and the water that comes in to my home is softened. I just opt to buy spring water at Publix in the 2.5 gallon jugs and use that for brewing.

I live on the East Coast near Melbourne and our water is not bad. I certainly do not mind drinking from the tap. With that said, I normally drink water from a water cooler because I like the taste of it better. I brew out by my pool and the water runs through the garden hose, through an inline filter for a fridge I rigged up, and then into the HLT. I also let it run at least two minutes at the start prior to connecting the filter to get the water that has sat in the hose flushed out. My beer taste great so I have no plans to change how I brew.

I live on the East Coast near Melbourne and our water is not bad. I certainly do not mind drinking from the tap. With that said, I normally drink water from a water cooler because I like the taste of it better. I brew out by my pool and the water runs through the garden hose, through an inline filter for a fridge I rigged up, and then into the HLT. I also let it run at least two minutes at the start prior to connecting the filter to get the water that has sat in the hose flushed out. My beer taste great so I have no plans to change how I brew.

I eventually am going to rig something like this.

I don't mind buying the bottled water but it would be nice to just get it off the tap.

One less trip to the store and all.

I live in tampa and brew with filtered tap water with no issues. It is hard water chock full of limestone so you have to take that into account. Makes oxyclean stain everything white though....

Lemme resurrect this thread a bit....anyone in Tampa order one of those complete water reports?

I live in Washington state right now and the water here is AWESOME. I'm originally from Tampa and moving back soon.

I've never brewed with Tampa water, but am aware that it tastes like crap

I just moved here as of yesterday, I plan on getting a water report sometime in the future, when I do I will post it. But I really can't stand the water and will be looking to get some sort of water treatment setup for our tap water,

Doesn't Tampa draw from wells as well as the desal plant? If so, the water might change mineral content depending on what they are drawing from at the time.

I live in Cape Coral Florida. We are close to the coast and salt water canals. There is salt water intrusion into our well and the water actually tastes salty a bit.

Most people use water softener systems however the ppm of the water is still high. I got a whole house reverse osmosis system and that does the trick.

When I lived it Tampa the water tasted different all the time. I would do some serious filtering to use the tap water. Probably reverse osmosis.

Back