Question about yeast starter’s?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I am just wondering how long would one want to keep there yeast starter on a stir-plate?

Wow, apparently I go way too long. If I'm brewing on Saturday, I get it started on Wednesday night. Take off and put the flask in the fridge Friday night. Take out Saturday morning and decant then let warm up. So, I guess technically I'm in the 48 hour club.

I just made a starter for a brew this Sunday. I'll probably pull it off Sunday morning, chill and decant some then get it back on the plate until I'm ready to pitch.

The cell count increase is pretty much topped out at 18 to 24 hours. After that the yeast are expending energy fermenting the wort and not increasing cell counts with any significance. The longer after that the less healthy the yeast cells will be.

The cell count increase is pretty much topped out at 18 to 24 hours. After that the yeast are expending energy fermenting the wort and not increasing cell counts with any significance. The longer after that the less healthy the yeast cells will be.

^exactly^

So you guys refrigerate at 18 to 24 hrs, then decant and warm on brew day? I'm still refining my methods, too.

I plan on 24 hours and then a small step up (in order to harvest 500ml), followed by pitching at 48 hours.

For most strains I do a full 24 hours of cold-crash before decanting, warming, and pitching.
Otoh, for strains that are poor flocculators I'll crash for at least 48 hours to avoid selecting just the quicker dropping cells...

Cheers!

Back