Question about yeast amount.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodpasterjohn

Reaction score
Original recipe:
1lb 120 crystal malt
5oz roasted barley
2oz black patent
6.6lbs dark LME
2oz cluster hops
1pkg wyeast 1084

Added:
8oz chocolate malt
4oz lactose
5lbs red tart cherries.

Is original amount of yeast good?
Thanks.

You should always try and do at least a 1L starter for liquid yeast. You're beer isn't going to necessarily fail but proper pitching rates will more effectively reduce some off-flavors. That being said you probably wouldn't notice with all of the stuff you're putting into the beer anyway.

Hey, thanks. That was my biggest concern. I was just hoping that I don't get off flavored and I meet my FG. OG was 1.066 and reading 3 days ago was 1.025. Waiting and...

It is probably underpitched, but it will still ferment. It will likely finish with a fairly high FG. Next time either make a starter or even easier, pitch 2 packets of yeast. Underpitching frequently results in off flavors, but like the previous poster said, with all the dark malts, cherries, etc. that you've added, you probably won't notice off flavors in this beer.

You can go here to calculate proper pitch rates: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Okay, so I'm looking at a low abv beer? And I shouldn't worry about off flavored or is it something else I should expect?

Thanks so much.

It's at 5.4% ABV, so it's not really all that "low" ABV. It's just that since the ingredients are not all that fermentable to begin with, and the yeast was inadequate that it's probably not going to get any lower. So it will end up sweet and underattenuated. That's probably not a bad thing in a milk chocolate cherry stout.

Yooper said:
It's at 5.4% ABV, so it's not really all that "low" ABV. It's just that since the ingredients are not all that fermentable to begin with, and the yeast was inadequate that it's probably not going to get any lower. So it will end up sweet and underattenuated. That's probably not a bad thing in a milk chocolate cherry stout.

Awesome, I'm really looking forward to this one. Thanks for the help.

Oh, thanks. I get so addicted to the forum that I forget about google. Just bought an app for my phone.

Thanks.

Back