Question about vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuknkrvl

Reaction score
Anybody ever tried adding vanilla beans to the kettle at the end of the boil?

My guess would be that since it's such a delicate flavor it would all be driven off by time the beer is ready to drink, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone out there had ever tried it and what kind of results they got.

Cheers!

I used vanilla extract at bottling in a Christmas Ale. I brew 2 gallon batches and put in 2 tablespoons which is a lot by some folks standards. I thought it was about right. The only downside was, I was trying to make a festive Christmas Ale and used vanilla and cinnamon. It turned out more Cinco De Mayo because I had perfectly combined those flavors to taste like fried ice cream or horchata.

Yeah I'd add vanilla beans to the secondary. I think adding them that early is going to drive off a lot of the aroma that you are looking for.

I've added vanilla beans to the keg. Also once in a barrel. i would think adding to the boil will definitely produce slight flavor but nice aroma that would fade fast.

Back