Question About Using Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of wheat beers in general, so I have never used it to brew, or looked into at all...but I've been noticing more and more types of beers I like, especially Stouts and Porters and throw in some wheat and chocolate wheat on top of their base 2-row malt.

If adding wheat to a stout/porter recipe, what % of the total grist is typically used when wheat isn't the base malt? What kind of noticeable flavor notes does adding a small amount of wheat to a beer give?

For beers that are predominately wheat-based, is wheat malt the only base malt used?

I'm doing a AG wheat brew tomorrow. My grain bill is 7 lbs 2Row, 3lbs Wheat. Wheat Grain works well. You will still taste the wheat and have the haze like normal wheat brews.

I'm with you on wheat beers....not a big fan and never will be. You will never pick up on a "wheat flavor" in those beer styles. The wheat just adds some body/mouthfeel and head retention. porter about 5-10% and stout 5-20%. I usually add about 10% torrified wheat to most of my dark ales for head retention.

For beers that are predominately wheat-based said:
sorry skipped that....per Ray Daniels key factor for brewing a weizen

-Use 1/2 to 2/3 wheat malt, with the balance being two-row barley malt. Wheat/barley malt extract may be substituted for all or part of this.

- for dunkel weizen and weizenbock dark grains will accout for 15-30% of the total grist

Back