Question about taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkapottomous

Reaction score
What's the difference between the setup I see with CO2 and regulators and all that noise, versus just a regular old pump tap like you'd see at a party?

Is there any real noticeable difference regarding how long the beer lasts, etc?

I'm looking to spend some graduation money and there are a bunch of guys who graduated from texas A&M that are selling Kegs on craigslist, but they all have the pump taps.

Can i use these for homebrew, is what I'm asking I guess.

If you want to drink your whole keg in less than 24 hours, sure a hand pump is ok. Any longer than that without using co2 and your beer will become flat and oxidized.

If you want to drink your whole keg in less than 24 hours, sure a hand pump is ok. Any longer than that without using co2 and your beer will become flat and oxidized.

Yeah, I figured that the whole "not having CO2" thing would ruin it. I've never messed with kegs before, and some of these guys are selling 15.5 shells for the same price I'd have to pay to get a soda keg.

If you're not brewing 15.5 gallons at a time, and you've got the CO2 regulators and everything, I'm guessing you can still use the full size kegs, right? As long as you've got a good blanket of CO2 on top of it?

The cornys are much easier to clean and take apart. If they were the same price I would still get cornys. And do you have a refrigerator big enough to store 15 gal kegs?

JRems said:
The cornys are much easier to clean and take apart. If they were the same price I would still get cornys. And do you have a refrigerator big enough to store 15 gal kegs?

Don't have a fridge big enough, that's for sure.

I decided to go ahead and go to one of the lhbs's and price the stuff out, got everything but the co2 tank for 120. Trying to find one for cheap on craigslist.

Back