Question about septic systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The GF (affectionately known as The Yizz, but that's a story for another time) and I are building a house. Throughout my lifetime, I'm sure I've lived on a septic system at some point, in fact, I know I have. But I've never lived on one as an adult who is responsible for my own actions. The Yizz says the same about herself.

This new house will have a septic system. Talk to enough people and you hear horror stories about people who have neglected their system for years and costing them several thousands of dollars to replace the system. Then the people who insist that they knew a guy who had it happen in less time and cost more money, then the next guy, and the next, until you get to the guy who has a neighbor who screwed up his system so bad, he has to get it pumped at least every month or they'll have to excavate the whole neighborhood and replace all the houses just to fix his system.

I don't want to be that neighbor....

Suffice it to say, I don't know enough about septic systems, and I'd rather not learn it the 'Murican Way. I've been trying to educate myself on it and possibly start changing my ways now assuming that they need changing. I'm sure that I'll get a good rundown from the builder and/or the septic guy about what I can and can't do with the system.

This is what I know so far:
-Brewer's yeast may or may not be good, but it definitely isn't bad. Assuming I'm not running a fully functioning 200 barrel brewery in my basement...
-I will have a garbage disposal and there are certain things that MUST NOT enter the disposal, such as grease.
-If you didn't eat it, it shouldn't be flushed. But where does that leave toilet paper???

So what should I know about the rest? I'm thinking I'm going to start composting. I had a pretty small yard at the last house and had no need for compost or I would have already been doing it. Obviously don't flush candy wrappers or dental floss, we have already broken ourselves of those habits. What about sanitary products? There are two women in the house and another younger one as well. It weirds me out just talking about it, but I suppose it needs to be talked about.

Anything anyone can tell me would be great. Resources would be even better! It seems to me that every other thing I look at says No Garbage Disposal, or The Garbage Disposal Will Be Fine If You Use It Properly. What does properly mean?

Thanks to all you pros out there!:D

I have lived on septic my entire life and the only time we have had an issue was when I drove my diesel over the drain field and messed it all up. As far as habits ti change, we've always just figured if we would eat it or its biodegradable down it goes. Do make sure you have a good reliable company inspect it before you move in though, because septic issues are expensive

1. Wipes and heavy toilet paper. Not all toilet paper is safe to be flushed down the toilet. Use single ply white toilet paper at all times. Also, you should never toss any wipes down the toilet, no matter how they are advertised, these are not able to break down enough in your septic tank.
  2. Sanitary napkins and tampons. Never allow people to throw their sanitary napkins or tampons down the toilet. They simply aren’t able to break down and will cause major back-ups and clogs.
  3. Hazardous chemicals. The toilet is never a place to get rid of hazardous chemicals. Those should be disposed of properly and that is not in your home. You can end up killing off the good bacteria you need to help break down waste and you will also be contaminating your soil and water.

My neighbors and I are all on septic tank systems.

The biggest factor I see seems to be the number of people in the house. Some of my neighbors have their system pumped once a year. Some, like me, have been here 15 years and never had to have it done. When I bought my house, the prior owners warned me that I'd have to have it pumped every year. They were a family of four.

I am not very discriminating in what I put into the system, although I avoid anything that isn't biodegradable. I will send small amounts of grease down the drain, never cooking oil.

About once a year, I will flush a box of Rid-X just for general purposes and i keep a steady flow of yeast going in from my brewing.

One thing to be concerned with is the amount of run off your brewery creates 200 gal brewery = 3000 gal of water to deal with. I read it can be as high as 1:15. Make sure you're casting it off as gray water on the ground and not into a drainage port to the sceptic.

I used to add septic enzyme that came in a box... Once a month if I recall... But even with good care I believe the maintenance schedule is 10 years (dig ups cost over $500 + whatever you're doing).

-If you didn't eat it, it shouldn't be flushed. But where does that leave toilet paper???
...What about sanitary products?

I'm on a septic with SWMBO and 3 daughters. Paper and stuff has been fine for us (though when we had it emptied we used to get told it was 'paper heavy' thanks to one of my younger kids habit of using waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much paper.) The first thing is the design of the system; the specs are the minimum size and if you can go bigger then do so, especially if you want to add extra bathrooms or bath/showers later. Really helpful if you think that through now. The other thing is to take care of the leach field and don't drive over it. (I've also cut a number of trees down to keep their roots away and for the fire wood but I'm not sure how big a deal tree roots are generally). The final thing - which a good engineer should do anyway - is to work with the land you have and design the system around it. We live on a slope and so have the tank and leach field downslope and a long way from the well which is uphill from us and gravity does the hard work for us. Obvious, but as we live in a hilly and rocky area I know people of have to pump uphill which is fine until a hurricane takes the power out for a week or two...

Once in place, have it pumped regularly and you should get a report on how it is holding up. We pump out once every 18-24 months and have had no issues so far with a 30-40 year old system.

If you get a good engineer (ideally someone who knows the area and soils and has experience with installing new systems rather than just servicing them) then they should walk you through all this. Even better, get a few good septic engineers and get several opinions.

Sorry I can't help you with the garbage disposal question.

As for the garbage disposal, I use mine every day. Also have a dishwasher that gets used regularly.

I'll echo the advice above to have the system designed and installed by a pro who is familiar with the concerns in your particular area.

Scott toilet paper rather than Charmin type. Everyone says if it's not poop or paper, it won't dissolve in the tank. Good luck getting the ladies to comply, if they use tampons.

Congrats on the new house!

Great stuff so far. I'm pretty sure we're getting a cement tank but I'll double check that. I know the size will be more than adequate. The builder had an engineering company determine how big it needed to be as well as the drain field, then the township rejected it at first when they applied for the permit. I know this because we had to move the house over and back on the property to gain more room, so the builder had to get my approval for the changes.

Wipes, that's a good one I didn't think of. I'll have to have a chat with The Yizz. I know tampons aren't as septic friendly as they should be, but not sure how big of a deal it really is. I'll have to check our toilet paper supply and see what we use. I saw something about a way to test it if it will be safe for use.

I didn't even think about driving over the drain field. That will be good to know as I typically wash the cars and the boat on the grass so the runoff gets used instead of drained. I'll have to be careful where I do that.

Thanks all for the info so far. This forum is by far the best resource for literally anything I would ever want to know.

Be very careful with cleaning chemicals, bleach and such.."if it kills germs it can kill your good septic tank buds too.

New construction, I would also check out a grey water recovery system tied to an irrigation system....double use that water and take a load off of the septic tank at the same time.

Good advice so far and i'd echo the recommendation to over-engineer the system if possible.

Our daughter and son-in-law recently bought a house with a septic system. The system has a big holding tank and two leach fields. There is a diverter valve directing the flow to one leach field or the other. I was not familiar with this design, but after some research found this to be a top-shelf design. They switch the diverter valve once a year and let one side recover. They should not have any maintenance other than pumping the tank once in a while for a long, long time.

Hmmm. I wonder if that's what I'm getting. The builder said something about a backup drain field that the township requires. I thought it meant an alternate location in case the first one "craps out". :ban:

Be very careful with cleaning chemicals, bleach and such.."if it kills germs it can kill your good septic tank buds too.

New construction, I would also check out a grey water recovery system tied to an irrigation system....double use that water and take a load off of the septic tank at the same time.

Separate grey water system is a good option.

Even better, a composting system avoids all the issues of septic, but may or may not fit your plans/local regulations.

Ive got separate grey water and composting system at my place in Guatemala, but dont have to deal with any local regulations.

We lived in a big house with one a while back. There was just the wife and I with a toddler. We went 3 years and had it pumped, and the pumper said it looked fine. If we were going to stay a 3-person family, we could have probably went to 4 or more years before having it pumped. But until you know how your family does against the size of your system, it's worth it to get it pumped more often, at a few hundred dollars, vs having to dig up the drainfield or replace clogged pipes.

Couple points: we had garbage disposal and used it. We were careful with grease and pan leftovers. Paper towel is cheaper than plumbers! Also, coffee grounds (we heard) can mess up a drainfield bad. Make coffee with paper filters even if you have a metal one in your maker. Used some septic enzymes couple times a year when I remembered to do it. No issues.

Good luck with the construction!

I install/fix septics all the time. 2 things you want to INSIST on with the installation. A Zabel filter (look it up and educate yourself), and risers coming off the tank for easy access to the lids and baffles. You will thank me for this in a few years when the tank needs servicing and someone doesn't have to punch 30 holes in your lawn looking for the access. Plus, take lots of pictures and measurements of the whole system. I fixed a system this spring where the homeowner had a lot of holes dug in his lawn looking for the distribution box. I was scratching my head when I heard him say he had a video of the system being installed. I found the box within 5 minutes of watching the video. He now has risers on every access to the tank and distribution box right at ground level. My own system at my house is quite old. I had it pumped a year ago and the last time it was pumped was 17 years before that. The zabel filter did an amazing job at keeping solids out of the leach field. I have never heard the argument about what type of toilet paper to use or not to use. I raised 3 kids during that 17 year span and can only imagine how much Charmin went down the drain. My girls knew what would happen if a sanitary napkin was flushed. NEVER allow that PERIOD. Flushable wipes are another huge no no. No grease. That's another no brainer. We compost all our food scraps. If you do use a food disposal, just expect to have to service the tank sooner than if you compost. Hope this answers some questions. Feel free to ask more if we missed anything

My parents have a 60+ year old septic system and never been pumped. Mine is 30 years and only pumped once because someone said its a good idea once in a while. It was fine, and was a waste of money. We use what ever toilet paper we want. Feminine products go in the trash, and grease and garbage go in the trash. Have used chemicals for stuck drains as needed, and the 3 toilets and all the sinks get a good dose of comit every week. If properly installed should last for ever. My drain field is the front lawn, so no worries of roots clogging the drain lines.

The only time I've heard horror stories are pressurized systems because the land does not perk well, and systems that have a storage tank that pump up hill to the septic system. If the power goes out or a motor breaks, then you can't use it.

I install/fix septics all the time. 2 things you want to INSIST on with the installation. A Zabel filter (look it up and educate yourself), and risers coming off the tank for easy access to the lids and baffles. You will thank me for this in a few years when the tank needs servicing and someone doesn't have to punch 30 holes in your lawn looking for the access. Plus, take lots of pictures and measurements of the whole system. I fixed a system this spring where the homeowner had a lot of holes dug in his lawn looking for the distribution box. I was scratching my head when I heard him say he had a video of the system being installed. I found the box within 5 minutes of watching the video. He now has risers on every access to the tank and distribution box right at ground level. My own system at my house is quite old. I had it pumped a year ago and the last time it was pumped was 17 years before that. The zabel filter did an amazing job at keeping solids out of the leach field. I have never heard the argument about what type of toilet paper to use or not to use. I raised 3 kids during that 17 year span and can only imagine how much Charmin went down the drain. My girls knew what would happen if a sanitary napkin was flushed. NEVER allow that PERIOD. Flushable wipes are another huge no no. No grease. That's another no brainer. We compost all our food scraps. If you do use a food disposal, just expect to have to service the tank sooner than if you compost. Hope this answers some questions. Feel free to ask more if we missed anything

Mine has a riser. It is easy to find because it's the one sq ft area grass won't grow. It also has what I call a grease trap. The lines are easy to locate if I don't water or fertilize the lawn.

BTW, How do you not allow a Period?:)

Mine has a riser. It is easy to find because it's the one sq ft area grass won't grow. It also has what I call a grease trap. The lines are easy to locate if I don't water or fertilize the lawn.

BTW, How do you not allow a Period?:)

I proof read my rant after sending and saw that. I knew I would get hammered for it. Love it. HAHA

Great stuff so far, everyone. I already had a chat with The Yizz about flushable wipes, and she was more than a little irritated that she won't be able to use them anymore. I think I'll wait a little longer before we chat about feminine products. I just might let the builder or septic guy tell her....

We'll have to start keeping a can for grease around. It's not like I dump a lot of grease, but every little bit helps. Now I think I get why my parents kept the can of grease in the fridge. Keep it congealed and keep the stink down.

Thanks again for all the great input. Now I have a good list of questions to dump on the builder. Time to send out an email...

Great stuff so far, everyone. I already had a chat with The Yizz about flushable wipes, and she was more than a little irritated that she won't be able to use them anymore. I think I'll wait a little longer before we chat about feminine products. I just might let the builder or septic guy tell her....

We'll have to start keeping a can for grease around. It's not like I dump a lot of grease, but every little bit helps. Now I think I get why my parents kept the can of grease in the fridge. Keep it congealed and keep the stink down.

Thanks again for all the great input. Now I have a good list of questions to dump on the builder. Time to send out an email...

She can use them, she just can't put them down the toilet. Get a separate bin for them to go into; I bet you can even find a "diaper-genie" like product for this. There are alot of places in the world where the plumbing can't handle even toilet paper.

Kinda funny we have no problems with diapers and wipes when kids are around, but when its our own butts we think everything has to go down the toilet.

I have two duplexes on septic (one for each). No issues with garbage disposals or grease or feminine products. However, wipes clogged one system. Had it pumped out twice (with water refill in between) in 24 hours. Even then, I had to open up a cleanout and shovel out 15 garbages bags (placed in 5 gallon bucket to keep shape) of nasty wet wipes. Several tampons, a few rubbers, and an action figure too:D Wet wipes are the devil.

Ok. So, now, tell us about the Yizz:)

Lol. So she's my live in girlfriend. She has a six year old daughter. When her daughter was just a few years old, she mimicked things that people said. At one point, she tried calling her mom by her first name, Liz, because she hears everyone else call her that. Being a two year old, it came out as Yizz. We put a squash on that one pretty quickly, had our jokes for a day or two and mostly forgot about it. Several months later, something came up that made me remember it, so I recalled it to her and we laughed. Then she said, "I'm surprised you didn't change my name to that in your phone book."

So I had a big dumb laugh about that, made a big show of changing her name, and some time later it morphed into The Yizz. Probably because it irritated her that I refer to her as such. But it works out, because her closest friend is also named Liz, and her husband is one of my main drinking buddies so it makes it easier to keep track of who we're talking about.

And most importantly, it still irritates her. But she's getting used to it so I need to find something else...

Lol. So she's my live in girlfriend. She has a six year old daughter. When her daughter was just a few years old, she mimicked things that people said. At one point, she tried calling her mom by her first name, Liz, because she hears everyone else call her that. Being a two year old, it came out as Yizz. We put a squash on that one pretty quickly, had our jokes for a day or two and mostly forgot about it. Several months later, something came up that made me remember it, so I recalled it to her and we laughed. Then she said, "I'm surprised you didn't change my name to that in your phone book."

So I had a big dumb laugh about that, made a big show of changing her name, and some time later it morphed into The Yizz. Probably because it irritated her that I refer to her as such. But it works out, because her closest friend is also named Liz, and her husband is one of my main drinking buddies so it makes it easier to keep track of who we're talking about.

And most importantly, it still irritates her. But she's getting used to it so I need to find something else...

Awesome

AS people have said, with a septic, get one big enough. You have to be more limited with what goes down. Feminine products and whatnot can be disposed of in the trash easily if you just prepare for it and have something set up to make it easy.

The system should take care of itself if you don't put things in it that can kill the microbes that keep it working.

And the drainfield is pretty fragile, so yeah, no driving over it. You may want to mark it off with something semi-permanent so other people know where it's laid out and can avoid driving on it too.

And remember that you don't HAVE to flush your brewing water into the septic. It's all organic and can be poured out on the ground somewhere to soak in. The septic is really mostly just for bathroom discharge. A separate drain field for grey water is not a bad idea.

Most septic problems are due to older poorly designed and neglected and abused systems. A modern system meeting the local requirements should work well for a very long time if it is not subject to abuse, and only reasonable use.

do americans really throw sanitary towels and tampons in the toilet?

And i thought those waste-disposal systems were weird.....

To be honest, I never thought we did, but I'll check with the family. I think they usually wrap the thing in the next wrapper and toss in the trash.

I know we buy flushable wipes. I'm expecting to have to pay for cleaning them out eventually, but they say "Flushable" and we're on the sewer system, so...

flushable wipes are a nasty nasty problem, especially in older sewer systems, where they cause a lot of extra work for the city...I think they should just be banned and using bidet/bidet hose instead if you want your behind to be clean.

I have a family of 4 and have mine pumped every 3 years. We have a garbage disposer but try not to put too much food down it. One thing I heard was a definite no-no, and haven't seen here is egg shells. Those always go in the trash.

Back