Question about secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can do it in whatever container you want, so long as it's sanitized and food grade. although, if it's to be an extended secondary, oxygen can permeate the plastic moreso than glass.

Thanks android. This is my first brew, a porter. Guy at the store said it didn't require a secondary, then when I open the kit it said to primary 7-10 days and do secondary for another 10-14. At this point I'll have to transfer it after 10 anyway cause it's in plastic, right? I'm guessing I should just go ahead and buy a 5 gal glass carboy. I'll want/need it eventually anyway

yeah, you will find differing opinions on secondaries, but you can just ferment in your primary plastic bucket for 14-21 days with no problem. some folks do it even longer. trust us on this one, you don't need to bother with the secondary, unless you are itching to get another brew going, in which case you should just buy another primary fermentation vessel. honestly, the only thing i ever use my 5 gal secondary for is storing sanitizer and maybe once a year or so for a dry hop or something along those lines (but it's no even necessary for that either).

Yeah, I leave all of my batches in primary no less than 21 days. I'm doing a pilsner right now that I'm lagering. It will be in primary one full month.

Latest posts

Back