Question about secondary at lower temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenness

Reaction score
Sour newbie here, my first two batches (a lambic and a flanders red) are in the closet for secondary after 1 month primaries with temp control ~65F. While the ambient temp in my house is 68F the beer has dropped to 57F in the closet and may go a few degrees lower during winter. After that I imagine it will rise to the high 70's in the summer.

So with all that background, my question is will the souring bacteria and brett stay in suspension and continue to work at these temperatures? I imagine the bugs metabolism will significantly increase when the temperature rises in the summer and I'll get the bulk of souring reactions happening then?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

well 60 to 65 F works slower but great in my opinion (seems like the acid taste is less harsh). Seems like 55-60 wouldn't be too too bad, and if it's real slow it might make that acidity really nice. but this is really based on experience. Let us know though!

My best sours have been made in the fall, with temps a bit higher for primary...but several months at the 56-62 range after that. When it starts heating up in spring and summer there is a very noticeable pick up in the pucker factor. So, in my experience, you have nothing to worry about. Brett and bugs aren't as fragile as sac, don't worry.

Back