Question about removing posts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugerRedhawk

Reaction score
Just got a keg from a friend. It had old beer in it and I have to take it apart to clean it. It's my first keg and is going into a new kegerator setup.

My first question is the posts have these little things sticking out of them. All of the info says to use a socket to get the posts off, but I don't think that's going to work wtih these little knobs in the way. Here are pics:

PPvJdl.jpg

gH79Dl.jpg

Also I have a faucet, and this is what the back of it looks like. how the heck to I connect a piece of 3/16" hose to that?

the faucet shank needs a gasket, tailpiece sized to your hose, and a nut to connect your hose to it.

I got my pinlock posts off by clamping vise grips on the bottom of the post to turn them

I got my pinlock posts off by clamping vise grips on the bottom of the post to turn them

Thanks. I'll get a socket made for it, but if I can't get one locally in time to keg this I'll keep that in mind.

I actually did find the coupler that goes on the back of the faucet with the barbed end. The barb is a lot bigger than the one that goes into my keg, so not sure what size hose I'll go with. WE'll have to see.

RedHawk, beverage line for beer should be 3/16" ID and yes your LHBS should sell it. Providing you've got the right sized tail piece, soaking the line in boiling water will soften it and allow you to slide it on.

I just took mine apart on my new keg a few days ago. A regular wrench worked just fine. You just have to angle it right.

Vice grips worked for me. I tried beer stores, homebrew stores, homedepot... finally found a plumbing supply store that sells food grade tubing other than siphon hose that the LHBS had.

don't waste your money on a socket from a HBS. A normal wrench will work, and if you really want to use a socket. buy a std socket and notch it yourself with a dremel or hacksaw.

Back