Question about Regulators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkzter

Reaction score
I have a 3 tap regulator. The setup looks like this:

5 lb CO2 tank--->Primary Regulator (currently set to 14 psi for cider)--->
3 way manifold--->one output goes to the cider, the one closest to the intake, another goes to a secondary regulator set to 10, and the third goes to an additional secondary regulator, also set to 10.

I've noticed that, after installing the secondary regulators, that the keg supposedly pressurized to 14 doesn't "seem" to be as carbonated as it used to be.

I'm willing to chalk this up to an error in my own judgement. I haven't tried to scientifically confirm this yet.

But, I was curious to know if there was a right/wrong way to setup these regulators.

Thanks!

~Brad

fwiw, might want to check the minimum differential specification for the secondary regulator, as many specify 5 psi minimum.

Otherwise, that's a legit configuration...

Cheers!

fwiw, might want to check the minimum differential specification for the secondary regulator, as many specify 5 psi minimum.

Otherwise, that's a legit configuration...

Cheers!

That was my initial thought, but it reads like he's questioning the beer that is on the manifold and not the secondary

That is correct, but there wasn't enough information to discuss that issue - it didn't seem like the OP was even certain there was a problem there.

The differential thing still matters in the long run....

Cheers!

I'd like to reopen this thread. Here is a link to my secondary regulators:

http://www.micromatic.com/premium/1-pressure-secondary-co2-regulator-premium-series-1161

Yesterday, I hooked up a new keg to one of the micromatic secondary regulators. I wanted to turn up the psi on that regulator to 15, which would now match the psi on the dual gauge that is hooked up to the tank.

So i'd have the tank at 15, one output of the manifold at 15, then the two outputs going into micromatic secondary regulators. One set to 10 and the other now set to 15.

What I noticed is that turning up the micromatic regulator did not immediately yield an increase in the psi. In fact, it took overnight until the gauge read 15 after turning the knob all the way in. I was not seeing real time feedback as I do from the primary dual gauge regulator.

Can anyone explain this? It now reads at 15, but it's pretty annoying that the feedback was that slow. It would be hard to dial in a specific reading.

I'd like to reopen this thread. Here is a link to my secondary regulators:

http://www.micromatic.com/premium/1-pressure-secondary-co2-regulator-premium-series-1161

Yesterday, I hooked up a new keg to one of the micromatic secondary regulators. I wanted to turn up the psi on that regulator to 15, which would now match the psi on the dual gauge that is hooked up to the tank.

So i'd have the tank at 15, one output of the manifold at 15, then the two outputs going into micromatic secondary regulators. One set to 10 and the other now set to 15.

What I noticed is that turning up the micromatic regulator did not immediately yield an increase in the psi. In fact, it took overnight until the gauge read 15 after turning the knob all the way in. I was not seeing real time feedback as I do from the primary dual gauge regulator.

Can anyone explain this? It now reads at 15, but it's pretty annoying that the feedback was that slow. It would be hard to dial in a specific reading.

I'd guess it's due to the pressure of the primary (tank) regulator being set relatively low. I have my tank regulator set to 60 psi and the 4 secondaries set between 10 and 20 psi usually, sometimes one at 30 for quick carbonating. I think the input pressure should be higher than what you're trying to set the secondary at, not equal to. The regulators should have a working pressure range somewhere.

Back