Question about reading a homebrew recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwedishChef

Reaction score
Total newbie question here,
When I am reading a recipe and get to the hops portion it says something like this:

1 ounce XHops @60 mins
1 ounce YHops @30 mins
1 ounce ZHops @2 mins

So I would add XHops when I had 60 mins remaining in my boil, Y when I had 30 mins remaining, and Z near the end with 2 mins remaining. Am I reading that correctly or am I backwards? Thanks in advance!

Total newbie question here,
When I am reading a recipe and get to the hops portion it says something like this:

1 ounce XHops @60 mins
1 ounce YHops @30 mins
1 ounce ZHops @2 mins

So I would add XHops when I had 60 mins remaining in my boil, Y when I had 30 mins remaining, and Z near the end with 2 mins remaining. Am I reading that correctly or am I backwards? Thanks in advance!

yep that is absolutely correct every recipe i have ever seen is set up like this

to slightly complicate it X hops are bittering Y hops are flavor and Z hops are aroma

Ok so in my first (and only) brewing I put the hops the strainer bag that I had previously used for my grains and let them boil, then removed them when the 60 mins was up. If I did a hops addition when I removed it from the heat how long should I let it sit in the pot?

Ok so in my first (and only) brewing I put the hops the strainer bag that I had previously used for my grains and let them boil, then removed them when the 60 mins was up. If I did a hops addition when I removed it from the heat how long should I let it sit in the pot?

I don't remove my hops. They stay in. If you choose to strain your cooled wort going into the fermenter, you might catch some hops that way if you don't use a bag. Otherwise, just pull the bags out after the wort is chilled.

I'll also just add to read it carefully. A good recipe should state "add 1 ounce of Magnum pellets 12.0% AA" so that you know the actual bittering level of that ounce of hops, because it varies from farm to farm, season to season.

It also lets you adjust, so if you can't get any Magnum hops, you can sub another clean bittering hop with a slightly lower or higher Alpha acid level, and keep the same IBU's in the final brew.

I don't bag or filter my hop pellets from the kettle. I don't try to pour it all into primary but I don't care when some makes it in with the hot/cold break.

my beers aren't hazing, don't taste funny (aside from an acetalaldehyde issue related to yeast health).
whole hops though...yeah I strain those/or bag em.

So if a recipe calls for XHops 12% AA, I can substitute any other hops as long as they are ~12% AA and I can expect a comparable end result?

Latest posts

Back