Question about pitching yeast. (slurry an mason jar). Am I ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed last night. I chill down to 90 (ground water temp) then chill overnight in the fermenter/fridge (temp control).

I forgot to take my yeast/mason jar out of the fridge last night. Before I left for work I took it out of fridge and set it in the garage (brewery) and figured by the time I get back at noon it would be close to pitch temperature. But in 2 hours it heated to 74f and the jar was under pressure. Is this bad? I opened it and it started oozing out. I quickly aerated the wort and pitched. The wort was around 67 and yeast 74.

I collected the yeast from a conical last night. Couldn't decant the small amount of beer as it mixed when I opened the lid. Not too concerned with that. The yeast looked really good in the jar. Nice off white hardly any beer. IPA

Justin wondering if the 2 hour rise in temperature and being under pressure hurt the yeast health?

Back