Question about PBW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Just got my first container of PBW, and was wondering how to measure out the powder. I see it says to use a certain amount of ounces per gallon, but how do I know how much and ounce is (and no, i'd rather not put it on my scale). Is there supposed to be a scoop or something in the container?

measuring%20cups%20spoons.JPG

You could always get a cup, tare the scale, then add it.

Also, check out this podcast. The discuss cleaning with a guy for 5 Star and talk about PBW and what concentrations and temperatures it works best at.

Call me crazy, but don't you measure it by volume? I don't think they want you to use 2oz (by weight) per 5 gallons, they want you do use 2oz by volume. Or do I have it wrong?

Get yourself a plastic coffee scoop. Fill it with PBW and then pour it into a plastic cup that has been Tared on your scale. That will calibrate your scoop for PBW. You should then be able to calculate how much you need based on the amount of water and how dirty your stuff is. They say 1 to 3 ounces per gallon of hot water.

I have a little plastic cup that I use. I weighed the correct amount for 5 gallons. Then used a sharpie to mark the level in the cup. I scoop to the level and use. KISS

Hmmm, I guess I need to actually get a scale then huh? I seriously don't have one...haven't needed one yet, as all my hops are weighed out in 2oz. increments and grain is milled at the LHBS. But seriously, has nobody figured out a volume/weight ratio for this stuff??? I would assume there would be an easy conversion here....like 2oz = 1/4 cup. Ah well...just one more piece of brewing equipment.

Call me crazy, but don't you measure it by volume? I don't think they want you to use 2oz (by weight) per 5 gallons, they want you do use 2oz by volume. Or do I have it wrong?

Yeah, that's what I thought. But on the back of the container it lists the amounts in ounces...depending on the type of cleaning needed.

Hmmm, I guess I need to actually get a scale then huh? I seriously don't have one...haven't needed one yet, as all my hops are weighed out in 2oz. increments and grain is milled at the LHBS. But seriously, has nobody figured out a volume/weight ratio for this stuff??? I would assume there would be an easy conversion here....like 2oz = 1/4 cup. Ah well...just one more piece of brewing equipment.

If you want to brew the same beer consistently, I highly recommend a scale. I'm able to replicate my beers each time, but I measure ingredients to the ounce and hops to the gram.

Get a scale that does lbs, ounces, & metric for up to 13 lbs. and you will have a scale that will come in handy for many other uses.

Here's a good deal on one for only $29 and you can use it for boxes up to 55# too.

Amazon.com: Ultraship 55 Lb Electronic Digital Shipping Postal Kitchen Scale: Home & Garden

41S1TfRBDpL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to 5-Star- it's DEFINITELY by WEIGHT for their powdered products, including PBW.

Star-San is by volume, but it's Liquid (and comes in the handy-dandy squeeze bottle!)

Get yourself a plastic coffee scoop. Fill it with PBW and then pour it into a plastic cup that has been Tared on your scale. That will calibrate your scoop for PBW. You should then be able to calculate how much you need based on the amount of water and how dirty your stuff is. They say 1 to 3 ounces per gallon of hot water.

That makes so much sense, I'm kinda at a loss for words. I've been using a digital scale to measure out each addition... I now see I am a labor intensive moron.

If you find a cheap plastic cup, just drop by my house, I have a 7lb scale you can calculate it out with. Or, if you can wait a week or two, the scale I ordered to go with our mill will get here. I think it's a 35# version of the one ed posted above. Did I mention I'm excited to get the mill in? You get shipping info for that yet?

If you find a cheap plastic cup, just drop by my house, I have a 7lb scale you can calculate it out with. Or, if you can wait a week or two, the scale I ordered to go with our mill will get here. I think it's a 35# version of the one ed posted above. Did I mention I'm excited to get the mill in? You get shipping info for that yet?

Nope, not shipped yet...but I'm stoked too. Can't wait to get our bulk grain either...woohoo!

I found some conversion chart that said 1 oz = 1 tablespoon. That's the rate I use and it seems to work fine.

Back