Question about my dip tube placement (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
I have the 14 gallon pot from NorCal (same as MoreBeer). Other than trimming .5" off of the short side of the tube, this is what I've got. I would like to minimize my dead space. Points:

1. I currently leave behind 4 cups (32oz) with this setup

2. I have a bazooka tube on the way

3. I use a suspended paint strainer for my hops

4. I use an immersion chiller so whirlpooling the trub (with a corner mounted tube) isn't really an option

Will I need to alter the tube when the bazooka arrives? How can I reduce my dead space with the tube or is 4oz a pretty acceptable amount to factor into formulation?

Revised my post above. I realized I said there was 4oz of dead space when in fact it is 4 cups. Oopsie. If only it were 4oz. lol

Not good. That looks like the pick up tube in my HLT.

But for a boil kettle you want to pick up from the side.

When you whirlpool all the break and hops will be in the middle.

Here is mine (in the boil kettle):
2014-05-10%2008.07.59.jpg

I use a suspended hop sack (Home Depot One Gallon Paint Strainer), I have given up on the bazooka tube with pellet hops since it clogs so easy.

I think the easiest fix would be to use a tubing cutter to reduce the length of your pickup tube.

I've seen pictures of the Blichmann kettle that picks up closer to the side. That is what I'd suggest.

You really just don't want to pick up from the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here is another example.

I too use paint strainer bags to contain the hops, but for this batch I threw the flame out addition directly into the kettle. (84g or about 3oz)

This was an all grain 18 gallon batch of American Pale Ale.

IMG_1224.JPG

I currently leave 2 gallons behind in the kettle on 6 gallon batches.

I bent a bazooka around a dip tube in the mash tun. It did stress a little, but not too bad.

Back