Question about my co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
Ok, I've got my first kegged beer in the fridge, and again, I couldn't find this question elsewhere, may be a bit obscure, so... how much do I need to open the co2 tank? The keg is pressurized, so I know the gas is going to the keg, but I've only given the vale on the tank about a half turn... does it really matter or should it be opened up all the way?

I've bee asking some odd questions lately, but I just want my venture into kegging to be successful... and safe.

Thanks!

Do you have a regulator installed?

I have my tank opened full, then use the regulator to...regulate...

i.e. the regulator is what's used to control the flow and pressure. So just use that.

high pressure cylinder valves are back-seating. that means that when the valve is opened all of the way, a second seal seals the valve stem and packing to prevent leaks.

the only valves that shouldn't be opened all the way are fuel gas valves. this is because they aren't back-seating, and in case of a leak or other problem the gas can be shut off much faster.

Back