Question about making a stawberry blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzz1086

Reaction score
I making a blonde and want to make it into a strawberry blonde. It's a five gallon batch. I brewed it today and was wondering when i should add the strawberries, i was also wondering on how many ounces i want a good strawberry flavor but not over powering. Also how long should i leave the strawberries in the fermenter. thanks

Wait until after primary fermentation has wound down, then add the strawberries to the secondary. Many people will typically add 1lb of strawberries per gallon of beer, and then adjust the amount up or down from there depending on personal preference. As far as how long, that's up to you. I would begin tasting it after 2 weeks and whenever it hits the flavor you like, I'd bottle or keg.

I use 4 pounds of strawberries for 5 gallons in my recipe. Strong strawberry aroma, flavor is more subtle. I usually go 3-4 weeks in secondary on the strawberries.

Just made a batch....

After 3 weeks in primary racked 2 of my 5 gallons on top of 4 pounds of strawberries. Left for 2 weeks. Just popped abottle after 2 weeks conditioning and it is great!

Used frozen strawberries and brought them to 150 degrees for 15-20 minutes, cooled and then added pectic enzyme. The brew was a pretty high gravity blonde at first too and the strawberry aroma is prevelant and the flavor isn't strong enough to overpower the beer, compliments rather well in fact.

I add 8 lbs of frozen strawberries to 5 gal of mine in secondary. Leave it for a week then rack it back off of the berries for another week. It is one of the best beers I brew and I can't kepp it in stock!

I usually dont transfer into a secondary, is that going to be a problem putting the strawberries in the primary after a week or will it be ok? Also is steeping them in 150 degree water before hand the best way to go?

I can't comment on possible issues arising from adding berries to the primary only on what I do. I take 8 lbs of frozen strawberries and add them to a secondary, then rack the beer on top of them. I don't steep or boil or anything. Add them frozen directly to the secondary.

Ok thanks i might have to leave it in the primary for an extra week to wait till one of my carboys is done being used, not a terrible problem to have ha ha. thanks again

Adding to the boil or primary you will lose a lot of the strawberry flavor and aroma. For full effect and a good complementing flavor, add it to the secondary.

Don't mean to threadjack here but curious as to the difference between adding the strawberries during primary, as to secondary?

I think the deal is that the more active fermentation of a primary scrubs out the delicate/volatile fruit flavors and aroma. Sure, the fruit sugars start off a second "primary", but it's not as vigorous.

There was a meadery in upstate NY (can't remember the name) that, for their various fruit meads, separately fermented the fruit juices from the honey then blended them, for this reason. From what I remember, I wouldn't argue with their results.

well i transfered the blonde onto 6lbs of frozen strawberries yesterday so we will see how it turns out

Latest posts

Back