Question about Kolsch Yeast 2565

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millhouse46

Reaction score
I have an all grain Kolsch that has a OG of 1.040 and i used the Kolsch 2565 Wyeast smack pack. I smacked it early in the day and put it in a good spot and it never swelled like the other packs I have used. When I was ready to pitch the yeast, when I opened it, it smelled off like a sharp not fresh smell. I still used it because i didn't have any other yeast to use and didn't want to waste my wort.
After 36 hrs in primary it showed very little signs of fermentation with a bubble every 45 seconds and i took a peek in the bucket and I saw what looked like Krausan just under the surface with a thin layer of wort over the top. The odor did not smell off putting at all. It was strong somewhat pleasant like fruity, orangie. I couldn't put my finger on it exactly but not unpleasant.
The temp has been at the high level of 68 F, I am going to put it in a chest freezer with temp control but i wanted to get it going first.
All the other threads i have seen about this yeast say its animal and has very high and thick Krausan.
Is this an issue anyone else has experienced with this yeast? Should I be concerned? I don't want to react to rashly and ruin what might be something completely typical.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Raise the fermentation after initial phase. that will help it to finish and attenuate. Hard to say till you get it to FG and then see what it tastes like. Could be nothing or it could be a wild yeast doing any work.

Always wait it out unless you 100% certain that it is infected are the flavors/aroma are so bad you can't even get it to your mouth. Otherwise smaller flaws will improve over time. Even underpitching.

Two_one_seven,
I was thinking I may have under pitched. I didn't make a starter for it and I was having a little trouble getting cooled. I was under the gun time wise and pitched in high 70s.

It could be underpitched too. If the yeast has to grow too much then it can through off flavors......still some of those will mellow over time.

Used that yeast for last two brews myself. First time smack pack, second with recultured. Recultured yeast was super animalistic!

Sounds like underpitching as the pack didnt swell. Id recommend putting the next pack into direct sunlight (packaging absorbs a lot of heat) or put it close to a lamp. Thatll perk up the pack in no time. Plus, I highly recommend recultuting this yeast! You wont be disappointed.

Used that yeast for last two brews myself. First time smack pack, second with recultured. Recultured yeast was super animalistic!

Sounds like underpitching as the pack didnt swell. Id recommend putting the next pack into direct sunlight (packaging absorbs a lot of heat) or put it close to a lamp. Thatll perk up the pack in no time. Plus, I highly recommend recultuting this yeast! You wont be disappointed.

That was the funny thing that had me worried. I had it on the sun and it wasn't swelling. Maybe it was to hot.
On a good note when I got home from work today the krausan had formed on the top and it seemed to be making progress. Although it was not bubbling like I would have expected.
Midnight farmer
this may sound stupid but did you make 2 kolsch beers or did you break style guidlines with your second round using the yeast?

I never thought about them getting too hot in the sun! That could certainley be problematic!

Im doing the same Kolsch recipe so its true to style, in theory. I used the Brewmasters Bible to formulate the grains however when I plugged it into BeerTools its apparently an IPA. Oh well, tastes great!

I never thought about them getting too hot in the sun! That could certainley be problematic!

Im doing the same Kolsch recipe so its true to style, in theory. I used the Brewmasters Bible to formulate the grains however when I plugged it into BeerTools its apparently an IPA. Oh well, tastes great!

Very cool! I didn't even think about reculturing the yeast until you mentioned it. It might be interesting to experiment and make a different "style" using the kolsch yeast.

The Kolsch is great to experiment with as it has a wide temp range and generally produces balanced beers. Very versatile. We're in process of saving wort and yeast from one batch to use as yeast starter material for the next batch.

Latest posts

Back