Question about kegging with torpedo 2.5 gal kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerDirigible

Reaction score
I'm getting into kegging and I have to do 2.5 gal kegs due to size limitations in my mini fridge. (I'm looking at the torpedo kegs). I have 2 questions:

1) I'd like to keep doing 5 gallon batches but starting out I'll only have 1 2.5 gallon keg. If I only keg 2.5 gallons at a time and leave the rest in the fermentor will I have any issues with oxidation or off flavors? I would purge the headspace and replace the airlock of course.

2) can torpedo kegs be used with regular gas and liquid connectors from corny kegs?

Thanks

1. I would not do this. In the very least you would want to purge the headspace with CO2. It would be better to purchase a smaller secondary and rack the remainder into that and minimize headspace and total volume of O2 that can interact with the wort. Another option is to simply bottle your extra until you can get a second 2.5 gallon keg. Then you can charge it with sugar and it will be ready for the kegerator when the first keg is kicked.

2. Yes, Torpedo kegs use standard Ball Lock quick connects. They are new, smaller version of the classic 5 gallon corny keg. Nothing different or unusual. (Well, the poppets are kind of different, but I like them.)

Ok thanks for the advice. The smaller secondary does make more sense. I'll see if I can get ahold of a 3 gallon carboy. I do usually share a good bit of my beer and if I do bottle half with 22 oz. bottles that's only about 14 bottles. I've already got tons of bottles

Back