Question about high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smakudwn

Reaction score
Hi

I have an question regaurding a high FG on my latest beer. It was supposed to be a honkers clone

recipe is
10lb 8oz British Pale (Maris Otter)
1lb 0oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1lb 0oz American White Wheat 39
0lb 2oz Roasted Barley

Yeast was safale 04 pitched 1 packet, sprinkled over the wort.

OG 1.059
FG 1.020

Mashed at 155

Fermented at around 70.
Left in primary for 3 weeks.

What could have caused such a high FG?

And i was stupid i just kegged it and THEN took the FG reading, so I'm not looking for ways to fix it, just want to know what could have caused this?

thanks

Hmmm. ingredients look fine. mash temp a little high but not high enough for 1.020, is it possible that your thermometer is off and your mash temp was higher? HOw long did you mash for? Maybe you didn't get a full conversion? Do you aerate or oxygenate with a stone and pump or O2 tank? That would definately help. I always rehydrate when using dry yeast, maybe that would help a little as well. Also, what water do you use? Could you water have a high chlorine or chloramine content. What were the gravities of your last brew and what might be different?

I haven't checked the thermometer but i guess thats a possibility. I aerate with the fermentation bucket on top of a tennis ball. I haven't had any problem with uderatenuated beers so far. I use spring water.

Mashed for 60 min. Never though about not reaching full conversion.

I'd vote for a too-high mash temp. If your thermometer was off even two degrees, it would have been even higher. 155 is approaching the high end of my mash temps. I mash my Dead Guy clone at 156 or even 158 at times, to get a high FG.

How does that work? never heard of it. could your yeast have been old? I've never had such low attenuation from 04

Some folks set their fermenter on a tennis ball so it provides a fulcrum to rock the fermenter back and forth, sloshing it around to aerate.

Some folks set their fermenter on a tennis ball so it provides a fulcrum to rock the fermenter back and forth, sloshing it around to aerate.

Correct. Ill be checking my thermometer tonight. Strange because its the same one i have always used.

As far as old yeast, i have no idea, didn't think to look at the expiration date. Fermentation took off pretty quickly and went strong for 2-3 days.

thanks for all the replies.

Back