Question about grain names

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oze152

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for British Crystal (75L). Am I correct in assuming that this would be caramunich? I found 80L caramunich at LHBS, so I am hoping I can go with that.

If you don't specifically have access to British Crystal, you should probably use Caramel with around the same lovibond rating.

Yeah crystal is pretty much the same as long as the number is close +/- 5 or so. Yes the British crystal 75 will probably taste a little different then domestic Crystal 70 but then again, each maltster's crystal will be a little different anyway.

Caramunich is going to be maltier than UK or US crystal. Not necessarily bad, just different. As previously suggested you can use US crystal to get close, in which case I'd go with either C80 or do a 50/50 split of C60 & C90. If you've already purchased the caramunich, however, I'd just go with it. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Back