Question about fermentation vessel size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrazier77

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am hoping this will be an easy one for someone.

I am looking to bite the bullet and buy a conical fermenter. Currently I am only brewing 5 gallon batches but may go to 10 gallon in the future some day. So, would it hurt my 5 gallon batches to ferment in a 14 gallon vessel? I figure that the 14 gallon size is not that much more than the 7.5 size. What about using a 22 gallon brewhemoth for 5 gallon batches?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have no experience with the conical fermenter, but I read somewhere that the nature of your primary fermentation WILL be different in a conical, which will definitely change your final product. I wouldn't say your beer will be "hurt".

I could think of some factors: 1) your 5 gallon carboy is considered an "open" fermenter. The wort, yeast, will have more access to air, even if you close the lid. 2) the conical bottom will change how yeast settle down, which will change your attenuation, and the surface to which your yeast will be expose to alcohol.

Just some thoughts. good luck.

Oops. I didn't know where I got the idea you are using a bucket to ferment your 5 gallon. I mis-read your post. Although, I am guessing you are not using a 5 gallon conical now.

Back