Question about Column/Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built an 8 gallon still with a 36" tall column, 2" diameter (IIRC). Last run I measured about 60% or so. My limited googling shows this is normal range for Pot Still.

I kind of expected a bit higher proof just due to the column height.

Now I ain't complaining. I planned to make mostly Whisky and Brandy type stuff to be able to play with the flavors from the mash ingredients. The reason I made the column so tall was to be able to add some packing and maybe try some reflux distilling. Plus, with the angle of the condenser pipe, the 36" gets the output at a good height from collecting on a table.

Should I expect a higher proof just from column height? Would adding some copper scrubby packing in the column cause it to operate more like a reflux still?

I don't plan to test it for several weeks, since I need one more run of corn mash to fill my tiny barrel. But after that I might try it and maybe do some infusion experiments with a more neutral spirit. But I don't want to waste my time with it if I am not understanding still operation properly.

Thanks!

You will get negligible passive reflux even with packing. You need a reflux condenser at the top of your column to see an increase in ABV

Back