Question about Chocolate Malts and Roasted Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armenianbrewer

Reaction score
Recently went to my LHBS and purchased ingredients for my first Russian Imperial Stout. Gave them my printed out sheet of malts and quantities and then when I got home and looked at the receipt, I noticed they were a little different than what I expected. Now I'm worried it might not turn out how I'm hoping or how the recipe calls for, and thus my question about these malts.

My recipe called for a Chocolate Malt (American or UK) and roasted barley (again American or UK)... however, my receipt has the following two instead:

Weyermann Carafa II
Weyermann Roasted Barley

Both the german malts, and I'm trying to read about them and I dont think they really compare well to what I wanted.

I found this link: http://www.brew.is/files/malt.html

Anyone know the differences between what I was aiming for and the malts I had milled for me? Anything I can do to maybe adjust fix this now? Unfortunately all the malts were milled and mixed into one large bag so no way I can separate them out now

Weyermann Carafa II is dehusked so it is like Chocolate malt but less "burnt coffee" in flavor. It is totally fine in a RIS and some people even prefer it (Randy Mosher and Gordon Strong are big proponents).

I don't think I have ever (knowingly) used Weyermann Roasted Barley.

Weyermann is a great high quality maltster and I doubt you pick up any Germain character from grains roasted this intensely.

It should be great! Keep tasting notes and then compare using other malts next time! Let us know how you liked it.

Actually Weyermann makes regular carafa and special (dehusked) carafa - both in I, II, and III. The regular carafa I and II are not dehusked and would be their equivalent of chocolate malts (about 350 and 425 L respectively) while the regular carafa III would be like black malt. The special would be used if you wanted a debittered dark roasted malt. Assuming you got regular carafa II you're all good (and even if not as above it would still not be a huge deal, just less roast).

RIS needs that roasted coffee, burnt grain depth of flavors. If not you are making a 12C Baltic Porter with an ale yeast strain...

Latest posts

Back