question about all grain brewing eq

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geneticjim

Reaction score
Ive noticed a lot of people use the 10 gallon beverage coolers for a mash tun. Do I have to get a brand new or can I convert an old one? I work for parks and we have a few that are not being used that were left behind. Is it bad to use an older one for the quality sake?

I don't see a reason not to. Unless you really want to go buy a new one I guess.

One more question and thanks for replying! I am a complete newbie. I assume it doesn't matter if there are some scratches on the inside? Since its a pre boil step being 100% sterilized isn't a huge deal?

Mine's a 54 quart that I bought off craigslist for $10. I think used is perfectly good for this purpose. Free is even better.

Ive noticed a lot of people use the 10 gallon beverage coolers for a mash tun. Do I have to get a brand new or can I convert an old one? I work for parks and we have a few that are not being used that were left behind. Is it bad to use an older one for the quality sake?

My brother snagged 2 older 10 gal coolers from his job as a high school coach (they were being tossed away) and they have worked very well.

Another question. I wanted to make my own immersion wort cooler. I can get 50 of 3/8 copper for about 40. Since I live in Florida I will need to use a pump to circulate cold water from a cooler. What pump do I need to get? I have found pond pumps that pump 300+gph that have a .75 inlet and outlet. I'm kinda lost I guess

Here is the kit I started with;
http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-making-kits/bruxelles-blonde-beer-making-kit
I had trouble keeping the mash in the correct temperature zone. I used a funnel with a strainer to pour the wort into my fermenter. The funnel kept getting clogged with spent yeast. Here is what it looked like right after I set it up and then on the second day of fermenting:

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Looks good!
I found a 20 plate chiller for just about 65. I bought a good pump that can pump up to 1800 GPH and is submersible

Got my plate chiller today! I'm almost ready to brew. I have to wait for my kettle to come in

Back