Question about adding Candi sugar to Belgian Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWatkins

Reaction score
Howdy folks, looking for a little feedback from a veteran Belgian style brewer.

When brewing an Abbey style ale, Dubbel or Tripel, does it make a difference when the Candi sugar is added?

I'm going to brew a Dubbel using Wyeast 3787 this week but do not plan to do a starter as I want the increased ester production of a low pitch. However, I've read that this strain often requires a blow off tube, "a true top cropping yeast" as the manufacturer boasts.

Doing a little math, my recipe will be about 1.066 if I only pitch on 4 gallons of wort. This will give me a bit more headspace and hopefully reduces blow off even further. Then I can "top up" with my candi sugar inverted in one gallon of water a few days later, bringing my actual "og" to 1.062 in 5 gallons (assuming 44ppg from amber Candi sugar).

Now, assuming proper sanitation, is there anything wrong with my "incremental feeding" plan? Is there any good reason that I "need" to add the sugar at flameout as my recipe normally reads?

You can add after initial fermentation. It's common practice for Belgians.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

You can basically add the sugar whenever you want. I usually add it around 5-10 mins or flameout but your plan will work just fine too.

And yeah, 3787 is a crazy active yeast, and I absolutely love it!

It should be fine. Consider using two drops per gallon of Fermcap to help control your Krausen. I use it in my high gravity beers and it usually limits krausen in my fermenters to about two inches. It's a food safe anti-foaming agent. Your LHBS should have some.

I've always added the candy syrup at the end of the boil. Some of the stuff is very thick so I want it to mix well while the wort is still warm. I just know from experience if you add it earlier make darn sure your pot is off the burner or you will scorch it on the bottom of the vessel.

If you are not going to do a starter, I would add it after a couple of days into fermentation. That way the wort acts like a big starter. WHen you add it to the fermenter, it will take off again and go crazy. That yeast just does that.

I have done it both ways and they both work. I usually just do a big starter and add it near the end of the boil

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate the info.

Does anyone have experience with this yeast regarding fusels caused by under pitching? I want the esters but someone on another forum warns against using a single smack pack (mine is very new based on the date on the package) but Wyeast's website claims they are good for direct pitching up to 1.060 and I'm aiming for 1.066 (which I'll top up to 5 gallons of 1.062 after high krausen) so it's not terribly under pitched.

LOL. I just talked about my experience in another thread. My first Dubbel was around 1.070 and I only used one vial of WLP530 which I think is the same as 3787. Seriously underpitched. It didn't really get active for over 72 hours and at one point I thought it was ruined. But it did finish and it was one of the most fruity smelling and great tasting Dubbel's I've made. I've even read that underpitching is ok and the lag time helps get the desired character. I did not have any issues with Fusels and the esters were awesome and I think really popped because of the lag. I have not had the same results in later beers. Take this for what it's worth.

The only issue with fusels I've had was with T58 yeast and it was when I pushed the fermentation temperature limits with that yeast way too high.

Fusels will not come from underpitching. High ferment temps will cause fusels.

Cool your wort to the mid 60's. Pitch your yeast. Keep it low for a day or two and then let the temp ramp up and you are good.

Back