Question about a bretted saison.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeradise

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of french saison using the Wyeast 3711 French Saison strain, which attenuated the wort down to 1.004 gravity. I then pitched a starter I made with the dregs of a Boulevard Saison-Brett, which has since attenuated the batch to 1.000.
I have only been ageing this beer for 2 weeks after pitching the Brett starter.
My question is this, since all the sugars have fermented out of the beer is there any point to ageing it in the carboy any longer or should I just go ahead and bottle it and let the brett work on the bottling sugars?
I know lactobacillus (bacteria) will chew up dead yeast cells when all the sugars are gone, but since brett is a yeast I didn't know if it would use other yeast cells as a source of food, and therefore continue to funk up my saison, or if that is a lost cause, given the fact that there are no sugars left in the beer?

Brett does more than just eat yeast. Lots of the cool flavors come from what it does with the byproducts of other yeast. It can do that in a carboy or a bottle, but you'll get more uniform product if you bulk age.

I'd personally leave it a while to make sure the gravity really is as low as its going to go. It certainly isn't unheard of to drop below 1.000.

Back