Quantity for quality?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PandaBrau

Reaction score
How much yeast would one need for say 3 gallons of cider? simple recipe nothing complex. Just took ideas from here and there and wanted to try this.

3 gal apple Cider
3 pound honey
9 oz dark brown sugar
9 oz corn sugar
0.6 oz nutmeg
2 cinnamon sticks

Dissolve sugars & nutmeg in 1 gal of cider on stove place all the cider in carboy. Add honey shake.

Need to know how much yeast. Also when I rerack would it be ok to add more yeast...this is my 2nd attempt at homebrewing. Any other info that ya'll could think of to help me out with this would be greatly appreciated.

Most yeasts sachets or vials have instructions on recommended dosage required for a set volume. A typical sachet of dry yeast should be more than enough to cover that volume, but you may want to make a starter to reduce the lag period.

I can't answer the other question.

One packet will do everything you need it to. You might want to use less if you were making a 1 gallon batch, but you're fine for 3 gallons.

For 3 gallons, one packet of dry yeast should be just the right size. If you are using liquid, and if the gravity is going to be above 1.060 (looks like it to me, but I'm not sure what the sugar content of your apple cider is) I would consider making a starter. No need to add any additional in the secondary or prior to bottling; there will still be plenty in suspension.

I appreciate the help ya'll. One more question...what do ya'll mean by "make a starter"?

I appreciate the help ya'll. One more question...what do ya'll mean by "make a starter"?

When you use dry yeast in the packet, just put the yeast in some pre-boiled and cooled (around 85*) water and let it sit for about 15 minutes than pitch into beer.

When using liquid yeast vials, your basically making a small beer, usually 1000-2000ML depending on OG. You will make the small beer, cool it and add the vial. Than either put it on a stir plate or shake it every hour or so, to exchange gases. This serves a few purposes mainly. Increase cell count and promotes activity to shorten lag time.

A starter is a "mini beer". You pitch your liquid yeast in a controlled amount of ~1.040 wort (most use dry malt extract/DME), 12-24hrs prior to pitching in your actual wort. The purpose is for the most part two fold 1. multiply the cell count to match the volume and SG of your beer. 2. Pitch your yeast in an active state vs a dormant state to allow it to start easier and faster.

Here are a couple on-line calculators that you can use to determine how much yeast is needed for a given volume and gravity.
http://yeastcalc.com/
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

To effectively make a starter however, you need to know what your expected OG is going to be (need to begin the starter in advance). There are software packages, freeware and pay to play, that can be used to help you with breaking down your recipe's. BeerSmith is what I use, but there are plenty of options if you don't care to pay for a program at this point. Do a search and I'm sure you can come up with something in short order.

Not positive, but with that percentage of honey you may benefit from some yeast nutrients.

Back