Quaker's keezer with undisturbed lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quaker

Beer Missionary
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted a keezer where the door would function normally without increased weight for access of bottled beer, yeast or fermcap stored within. I didn't want the taps in the collar, because I feared bumping the handles when accessing the inside or moving kegs in or out. I searched a bit here and elsewhere for ideas without any fitting my intentions. So this is what I came up with.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1485053096.263446.jpg

I kept the collar at a minimum to limit the height I must lift kegs. I have several 2.5 and 3 gallon legs, so I don't need extra height on the compressor hump.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1485053119.288153.jpg

The door opens to its natural position, just a 1/4" shy of hitting the taps. The drip tray is affixed with magnets glued to its bottom.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1485053142.255995.jpg

A muffin fan pull air through the tower.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1485053217.528574.jpg

I built it over my X-mas to New Years break from work. I still need to paint the top piece, but was anxious to get it in service. I have no complaints yet after 3 weeks of use. So far there isn't anything I wish I'd done differently. It's in the basement, so there was no need for cabinet-like aesthetics.

Great job, way to think out of the box. I may have to steal your idea.

The down side for some may be that if positioned against a wall, it added 6" of depth. That didn't matter for me. If I did place it against a wall, I may have ran a backstop/backsplash or shelf across the full length to prevent things from dropping behind it. Or maybe even put shallow cabinets on either side for glasses or to move the regulators up to where they could be accessed from the front (hidden behind a cabinet door).

Back