Pyg's Day Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I have decided in an attempt to live just a bit healthier I am giving up beer & alcohol during the "work" week.
I am going this because over the last calendar year I have had a beer almost everyday after work. I have watched my weight balloon up atleast 20 lbs and there is no reason I should be breathing heavy while I eat!
I guess the last month with the holidays it all got away from me and looking toward spring I need to be more active in an attempt to get ready for my golf league.
realistically it is only 16 days, Monday threw Thursday mostly because I have always counted Friday evenings as a weekend!
If it is easy enough I will push this into February, but baby steps for now.
So instead of a picture of my beer, he is a pic of my glass of water. I am going to keep myself busy, maybe do some burpees or jumping jacks, who knows where the evening will take me!

So tonight is lemon water
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1451948255.276380.jpg

Good luck! I tried this once and it just lead to me drinking way too much on the weekends because I was making up for lost beers. What I'm doing now is drink until the wife complains, take a couple days off, rinse/repeat :ban:

I don't think a beer a day will cause a twenty pound increase in weight over a year. I would think that job stress and what you have for meals are the real culprit.

Sorry you have posted to the wrong HBT forum .. You wanted the Health, Beauty and Transformation forum :p

I don't think a beer a day will cause a twenty pound increase in weight over a year. I would think that job stress and what you have for meals are the real culprit.

You are correct there is stress at work, which leads to poor eating which leads to beer.
there is the beer I have while making dinner, the after dinner beer. Doze off, then have a beer.
Maybe some whiskey maybe not.
Then the late night beer and some junk food.

I guess if I can recondition myself to be healthier and than add a beer back in.

Good luck! I tried this once and it just lead to me drinking way too much on the weekends because I was making up for lost beers. What I'm doing now is drink until the wife complains, take a couple days off, rinse/repeat :ban:

You're just training her to complain. Way to go, Pavlov...

When you have a keg and steady pipeline of beer it can easily turn into daily drinking. Good luck and keep us posted.

I do this too. There is always room for an exception, but I think it is a nice default for me.

I have decided in an attempt to live just a bit healthier I am giving up beer & alcohol during the "work" week.
I am going this because over the last calendar year I have had a beer almost everyday after work. I have watched my weight balloon up atleast 20 lbs and there is no reason I should be breathing heavy while I eat!
I guess the last month with the holidays it all got away from me and looking toward spring I need to be more active in an attempt to get ready for my golf league.
realistically it is only 16 days, Monday threw Thursday mostly because I have always counted Friday evenings as a weekend!
If it is easy enough I will push this into February, but baby steps for now.
So instead of a picture of my beer, he is a pic of my glass of water. I am going to keep myself busy, maybe do some burpees or jumping jacks, who knows where the evening will take me!

So tonight is lemon water
View attachment 327629

Good for you! (yes, really.) But I'm wondering, other than a seed company, what is a "burpee?"

I do this too. There is always room for an exception, but I think it is a nice default for me.

SWMBO's birthday is Wednesday, so we are going to fondue place. 2 days in and I might have to make an exception!

Good for you! (yes, really.) But I'm wondering, other than a seed company, what is a "burpee?"

They are basically a squat thrust with a jump at the end.
Further sign I am getting old, I call them squat thrusts my kids correct me.

No burpees last night, just swang a kettle bell

I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

I don't worry about weight gain or loss- I eat healthy (haven't had a doughnut in more than 25 years), and stay moderately active. I drink beer every day, but I always say "I drink my carbs" and don't eat any junk. I'm in decent shape for my age.

Try replacing the pint glass of water with a can of seltzer. You still get that carbonated beverage and it comes in several different flavors. It works for me.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

I don't worry about weight gain or loss- I eat healthy (haven't had a doughnut in more than 25 years), and stay moderately active. I drink beer every day, but I always say "I drink my carbs" and don't eat any junk. I'm in decent shape for my age.

I think this is the key. If beer is your only junk food and you stay somewhat active your fine. My wife drinks 1-2 beers a night but runs every morning. she has lost 20lbs of pregnancy wieght in a little over 2 months.

It's Oreos that are the real enemy. 3 Cookies is 160 calories not including the milk for dunking. And if you don't eat them with milk then you're just gross.

I'm in the same boat right now. I've said (half-jokingly) that if I gave up eating or drinking, I'd probably be getting a healthy level of calories; I just can't handle both at the rate I'm going. It doesn't help when my wife baked 4 dozen cookies right before Christmas. :\

I'm not cutting out beer altogether during the week (so I don't over compensate on the weekends), but trying to restrict it to 1 or 2 a day (and sharing bombers instead of plowing through them myself) and eating smaller meals. And of course, go easy on the sweets.

I actually drink less home brewing then not..one or two of mine compared to a 6 pack of swill.

Go for a walk everyday. 10, 30, 60 minutes. It's clears the mind and you burn some hops in the process. ;) It worked for me, but I stupidly stopped and started drinking whiskey and beer. I snow ski 🎿 and I'm feeling the effects of my effortlessness. If that isn't a word it should be.

Good luck to you and do keep working toward your goal.

I wish you luck. one healthy choice leads to another. as long as you're not hard on yourself for slipping and having a beer mid-week.

been trying to quit smoking and slipped up plenty when I had beers over the holidays but I managed to keep it to that. part of the reason I'm cutting back drinking this year too. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568191

walks sure are nice too. I'm sure you'll do fine.

I wish you luck. one healthy choice leads to another. as long as you're not hard on yourself for slipping and having a beer mid-week.

been trying to quit smoking and slipped up plenty when I had beers over the holidays but I managed to keep it to that. part of the reason I'm cutting back drinking this year too. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568191

walks sure are nice too. I'm sure you'll do fine.

I quit smoking 10 years ago this may.
One of the most difficult things I have ever done.
I ate nicotine gum like crazy, then had to quit the gum. It worked!
6 months later I had a puff and almost puked.

Best of luck!

I was a chewed for longer than I care to admit here but I did end it. Whenever I smell a fresh lit cigarette 🚬, I admit, I can see/smell the attraction.

I was a chewed for longer than I care to admit here but I did end it. Whenever I smell a fresh lit cigarette [emoji377], I admit, I can see/smell the attraction.

I still like the smell of a freshly light cigarette in a cold crisp day.
What drives me nuts is the smell of a musty cigarette mixed with too much perfume. Especially when they are stuck in a elevator

$10 for a growler of that? That's about what a bomber goes for!

:ban:

Bombers are 22 oz and around here run $8 to $15.
The growler was $4.99 for the bottle & $5 for fill.
Here on out it is $5 for 32 oz.
Around here considering the selection on tap at the specific grocery store. It is a deal!

I'm tend to be on the same path as yooper. I don't eat carbs or junk food. I save all my carb intake for my daily brew...sometimes (not usually) 2. I find myself much more satisfied with a delicious brew daily than a bag of potato chips.
Aging blows.

have you tried brewing kombucha if you're wanting something fizzy? supposed to be good for you too. Satisfies the brewer in me. not sure how it tastes though cuz I'm waiting on my first batch to finish.

have you tried brewing kombucha if you're wanting something fizzy? supposed to be good for you too. Satisfies the brewer in me. not sure how it tastes though cuz I'm waiting on my first batch to finish.

I know nothing about it. Just read up on it.
Interesting.
The biggest issue I am having during the week is the hour I spend in the kitchen cooking dinner.
That is when I usually have a beer.
Instead I am chugging seltzer

fair enough. family gatherings are proving difficult for me. had a late Xmas with the gf's family last weekend and they like to get into it. kept my glass full of iced tea and no one questioned me.

maybe do some burpees or jumping jacks, who knows where the evening will take me!

Burpees put my wife in the hospital for 3 days. Rhabdomyolysis. She's a workout freak, but for some reason a long evening of burpees screwed her where her arms swelled up (compartment syndrome). She needed a saline drip and hourly blood tests for those days. It was a freaky thing.

Good luck with your weight loss plan. It's a great thing to form a plan of any kind and act on it.

Latest posts

Back