PVC as a measuring stick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC_McMic

Reaction score
Can I use a length of 3/4" PVC pipe to measure wort and boil off? Would it damage the beer or impart any dangerous chemicals is the brief amount of time it would be in the wort?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

PVC isn't rated for high temperatures so I wouldn't use it. It would be better to find a long plastic spoon to use and put notches in. That's what I do, but since I gallon batches I don't need that long of a spoon.

I've got a long wood dowell that I used to use. Long stainless spoon with notches too.

Similar, I picked up a few long paint stirring sticks from The Big Orange Store. The kind used for 5g buckets. They work great. Took my woodburning tool and burned in the lines and numbers.

All good suggestions, even tho it would only be in the heat for a short time I wouldn't use the pvc. I went to mark my pot with one of those electric engravers and wasn't sure how easy it would be. Measuring out for the marks I found my pot was 1 gallon = one inch. I used the engraver to mark an aluminum stick.

Hmm, okay. I should have just bought a dowel at the hardware store while I was there. However, at the time, I was thinking, "I shouldn't get wood because it can collect bacteria and other microbes." It didn't occur to me until after I left that I would only likely be using it before and during the boil. Oh well. :confused:

I use a dowel. The only time I use it to measure the volume is before the boil to get mash efficiency. Once boil starts I monitor the SG during the boil. (I have a refractometer, but used a hydrometer for years.) if the gravity is heading to the intended End of the boil SG the final volume will be correct. No need to account for the expansion of boiling wort.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

+1 on using a dowel and refractometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wood/bacteria is not a problem. Remember it is being used in very hot wort.. or in water that will be boiled. Kills any bacteria. I don't know much about the biology of bacteria and wood.. but, if you get into making concoctions like kombucha.. many recommend a wooden spoon and don't seem to be concerned about the wood/bacteria combo.

Anyhow, paint sticks are free and easy to make a couple.. especially of you have different pots for different applications.

Back