Putting together a Chardonnay kit, EC-1118 or 71B for yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
As the title states, which yeast would be better for a chardonnay? The EC-1118 came with the kit, but from past experience it seems to strip a lot of the flavors away and go very dry, at least when I have used it on ciders. I also have 71B on hand which I have been using for my homemade fruit wines which seems to work quite well. Anyways any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Of the two, I'd say 71B - it is more of a red wine yeast but will be easier on the chardonnay must and will add fruity notes. That being said, I'd use D47 or QA23 if you can obtain either. They aide in developing the chard's characteristic mouthfeel and are recommended by the manufacturer for this varietal.

Of the two, I'd say 71B - it is more of a red wine yeast but will be easier on the chardonnay must and will add fruity notes. That being said, I'd use D47 or QA23 if you can obtain either. They aide in developing the chard's characteristic mouthfeel and are recommended by the manufacturer for this varietal.
I was thinking D47, too bad I used my last pack a few months back. Ended up going with the EC-1118 after the SO verified she like really dry wine(I fell victim to the 50-50-90 rule, with a 50-50 shot of picking the right option I have a 90% chance of getting it wrong!). Thanks for the advice, I'll go with D47 next time.

Latest posts

Back