Put sampling spigot on buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyplank

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to take gravity tests and watch the fermentation steps more frequently, and in an easier way. I don't like taking the lid off of buckets and using the thief to collect samples multiple times to see if fermentation is through.

I'm thinking of drilling a hole at about the 3 gallon line of a 5 gallon bucket, and putting a spigot there. Then I can just open the valve, collect what I need, and close it up again when done.
Has anybody done this already? Or any thoughts on the idea?

I have mounted spigots in all my buckets, and I'm very pleased with it.

Just remember to pull out the airlock when you transfer to a bottling bucket or keg.

You can get a big syringe (like veterinary type syringes) and attach some vinyl tubing to it. Makes it a snap to suck up a gravity sample.

I would mount the spigot on the 1 gallon mark. That way you could pull samples for gravity readings and transfer to bottles/kegs when fermentation is complete.

You can get a big syringe (like veterinary type syringes) and attach some vinyl tubing to it. Makes it a snap to suck up a gravity sample.

+1 I got a 150 ml syringe and tubing and think it works pretty good. Don't need to worry about cleaning out spiggots.

Not sure I understand. Does this still require taking the lid off?

If you use a syringe with tubing attached you can go in through the airlock hole. So you don't need to take off the lid.

I find spigots more hassle to clean and sanitise than they are worth. I would rather take less samples and have less cleanup.

Not sure I understand. Does this still require taking the lid off?

Nope, just pull the air lock out and feed the tubing through the hole. Or if you use a 3 piece air lock you can pull the cap and inner part and feed it through that hole.

Back