Put 1 lb. of sugar instead of 1 cup!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeliasik

Reaction score
Ok, need some help.

I brewed 6 gal of Belgian Dubbel. Used 1lb of sugar to prime instead of 1 cup and bottled. Three hours later, realized mistake. Could not think of anything else to do, so I poured the beer out the bottles into a plastic fermenting bucket. Questions:

1. Should I add cream of tartar to inhibit oxidation? if so, how much for 6 gal?
2. I see very little activity out of the airlock. I washed and saved some yeast from this one. Should I re-pitch a little? My thought is it will give the yeast a fighting chance against any invaders (contamination).

Any thoughts/experiences?

sorry didnt read all of it. as long as you sanitized the bucket and didnt make too much bubbles in your beer when you were pouring it back it. im sure you will be fine. i dont think you will have to re-pitch, just give it some time.

lol, you goofed :eek:

i've never encountered this, but considering your current situation, i would

let the rest ferment out in the primary bucket it's in, add the correct amount of sugar, and bottle. I really don't know how much oxygen you introduced into the beer, but unless you were panicking, popping multiple bottles at a time and pouring them from 3 feet above the primary, i'm going to assume it wasn't much. I don't think you have too much to worry about but if you are worried, just drink the bottles in a reasonable amount of time.

If you want to keg by the way, this would be a great time to start :D
Just rack to the keg, purge and release the pressure ever so often....but seriously, do what you're doing (minus the cream of tartar) and im sure you'll be fine

Your beer may turn out a little drier than you wanted with all that fermentable sugar you added. Otherwise you should be fine

You won't get a lot of fermentation. there's plenty of nutrients etc in there still, so it'll be over quite quick too. did you take your FG before you bottled? it's likely to be the same once this second fermentation is complete because its' just measuring the amount of unfermented sugars in there. if that's the case, you've basically got another shot at priming and bottling :)

I was very careful pouring from the bottles into the bucket, but it was hard to angle the bottles to fit them in the bucket and shorten the pour height.

I guess I'll leave it be (not re-pitch or add cream of tartar), and have a tripel instead of a dubbel!

Still a risk of infection, but I suppose it can't be helped.

Thanks for all of your help. Hope to return the favor someday...

Back