Pushed stopper into my yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasp

Reaction score
So, I was making a starter (my first) everything seemed to be going smoothly until I pushed the stopper( it was sanitized) into the starter after I pitched the yeast..

Gonna do my first all grain batch tomorrow and didn't want something like this messing it up.

Should I dump it, or should it be fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If it was sanitized you are probably ok. You don't want to stopper yeast starters however. Just a piece of sanitized foil over the mouth of the bottle.

If it was sanitized you are probably ok. You don't want to stopper yeast starters however. Just a piece of sanitized foil over the mouth of the bottle.

The object of a starter is to increase the cell count. You are not really concerned with the taste. So, oxygen that you do not want in your beer is necessary to promote cell growth. Foil over the mouth of the vessel will keep the nasties out but will allow oxygen in.

Do not use an airlock.

If the stopper is still in there, leave it and get it out later. Unless you are using a stirplate and it stops the stirbar from spinning.

Back