Pure Pitch and Off Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skwieland

Reaction score
I've had great success with the WHite Labs Pure Pitch packaging. ENough great success that I had basically ended making starters! So to the same results from many of my home brewing friends.

That ended today.

Let me first say I LOVE WHITE LABS and have used ALMOST exclusively their yeast for the past 6 years of 1`0 home brewing.

Here's the scenario. Three carboys all the same stout. All carboys cleaned to my normal 10 year standard... very clean. All wort at room temp and three yeast packs WLP007 all at room temp. Same scissors same alcohol sterilization, same spraying package.

All three fermented with a nice krausen within 24 hours.

Two weeks. All down from 1.053 to 1.011. Taste, two were perfect, one had lacto solvent flavor and smell. I thought maybe it was high temp... oh but wait, there were two test subjects that were identical to either side in a temperature controlled area.... thats not it.

So I mention this at the homebrew clubs (yes plural) that I belong to. I find out that others are having the same weird experience since the change in packaging.

Coincidence??

BTW - in 10 years of homebrewing this is only the second carboy I have dumped down the drain. The other was my own fault using bad methods to reuse yeast.

Anyone else having this problem?

Back