pure oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkriver

Reaction score
Inexperienced brewer here. Understood that the cider needed plenty of oxygen to get started. I go out my oxy acetylene torch, and blew straight oxygen into my cider with a raking tube. I let it bubble 5 to 10 min. then added yeast. Was I bad?

It'll be fine.

I got one of those metal stones that attach to the cane for my O2. I guess it helps the O2 dissolve faster.

Many people don't use any O2 and that works too.

Good luck,

Cider isn't beer, you don't need to add any oxygen beyond what is naturally dissolved. It is often said that air is the enemy of good cider, but that mainly applies after the first vigorous fermentation slows.

Related question. I started a cider more than a month ago, but never got a good bubble going. It's actually working, just very slowly. Apple product was from an orchard, no preservatives, but had been pasteurized. It started at 1.065, and is now down to about 1.045, slowly bubbling away. It's not the yeast, I've added US-04 a few times now, nothing is changing. I wonder if it's because there was no oxygen in there, and what I can do about this? Is it dead? Can I add oxygen now and see if it picks up?

Related question. I started a cider more than a month ago, but never got a good bubble going. It's actually working, just very slowly. Apple product was from an orchard, no preservatives, but had been pasteurized. It started at 1.065, and is now down to about 1.045, slowly bubbling away. It's not the yeast, I've added US-04 a few times now, nothing is changing. I wonder if it's because there was no oxygen in there, and what I can do about this? Is it dead? Can I add oxygen now and see if it picks up?

I'd try degassing/stirring with a sanitized spoon a couple of times per day to see if that gets it going, and add some yeast energizer and nutrient as well.

First off, how was it pasteurized? Did you knock out the wild yeast w/ k meta first? I'd try adding a pinch of mag sulphate (epsom salts), a crushed up multi vitamin, and some DAP (available at your LHBS) and give it a gentle stir. Oxygen is in fact very critical during the yeast reproduction stage but I wouldnt try to add any now. 1065 juice is really quite sweet -- mine usually arrives in the low 1040s. Our of curiosity, does the cider smell and/or taste unpleasant?

Latest posts

Back