Pure co2 or mixed gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IEpicDestiny

Reaction score
Hi,

Should I get pure co2 or mixed gas for my keggerator? I will be serving mostly lager and possibly ales

Thanks

Use acetylene. Then you can serve flaming beer. OK JK don't do that. All I have ever used is CO2, never went in for anything more exotic than that. Yeast makes... CO2. I carbonate with... CO2. Just seems natural and appropriate.

Most ales use straight CO2 for carb and serve. Porters, stouts, and big beers (old ales, barleywine, wee heavy, etc.) can benefit from nitro/co2 mixes. Beers are different in the glass depending on the serving gas.

I'm using CO2 for my pale ales (currently at least) and nitro mix for the stouts and such (three stouts and an old ale on tap). The brews on nitro mix are using stout taps to dispense. I'm considering putting the pale ales on nitro mix as well. Just haven't done so yet. I might brew a large enough batch at one point to serve the same brew under both.

BTW, you can typically get the nitro mix in two different versions. 75/25 (75% nitrogen) and 60/40. I'm using the 75/25 mix at this time. I am planning to change my beer lines, making the ones on nitro mix longer due to the higher pressure level. That's somethin else you'll need to keep in mind if you go with the nitro mix.

Bottom line, cheapest mode is just CO2.

Unless you're trying to build a long draft system, where the lines are something like 25 feet long, the choice to go beer mix is based on your preference. If you like beers on Nitro at the pubs, then you might like it at home. It really doesn't suit many styles though so for most people that have beer mix, it's a secondary system installed in addition to a CO2 only system. For getting the correct kind of creamy pours on beer mix, you'll also need a stout faucet or the Intertap faucet with the stout spout.

TLDR: You want Co2.

The most important thing to get right is finding a reputable supplier of pub/cellar/beer gas. Beverage grade CO2, that is. If anyone tells you 'CO2 is CO2' in the context of carbonating and serving beverages just tell them, as politely as possible, to f*ck right off. Especially if they've got a mate who works in a welder's supply shop. There are no shortages of reputable suppliers of beverage grade CO2 in the UK.

I am planning to change my beer lines, making the ones on nitro mix longer due to the higher pressure level. That's somethin else you'll need to keep in mind if you go with the nitro mix.
Longer lines for nitro? I thought due to the restrictor spout that it didn't matter? You want some of the gas to breakout when you pour? I'm just running maybe 3-4ft at 25 psi. Seems to pour fine with 75/25

Longer lines for nitro? I thought due to the restrictor spout that it didn't matter? You want some of the gas to breakout when you pour? I'm just running maybe 3-4ft at 25 psi. Seems to pour fine with 75/25
Pour is fine, just faster than I think it should be. It's about time to change the lines anyway to the newer stuff I have on hand (more flexible). IF I went with 3-4 feet it would pour out way too fast.

BTW at 25psi, you're at about 6psi of CO2 into those kegs. I'm not keeping my beer cold enough for that to be a good level. I keep things in the 40-42F range (averages to 40-41F from the readings I get).

well now that you mention it....the pours are faster than what you see Guinness coming out at your local pub. Mine are sitting almost at 30F. In South TX I can let it sit and warm up...but I can't let it sit and cool down. Plus the unit holds other beers too.

Back