Purchasing Preservative-free Cider online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markwiz

Reaction score
Missed the local Apple Fest this year near my town, it was my only local source for UV Pasteurized Apple Cider.

I've searched this forum but haven't seen the answer - Are there any online sources to purchase preservative free Apple Cider?

Almost any of the bottled filtered apple juice will work (I've used Kirkland, Sam's, and Mott's.) Just make sure the only preservative added is vitamin C. Or you can buy frozen concentrated AJ.

I've used the frozen AJ when I couldn't get unpasteurized cider.

Once I did a split batch. I used 1/2 frozen apple juice to get things going, then added the preservative-laden cider after fermentation was in full force. Since the yeast had already multiplied I figured the preservatives wouldn't keep them from fermenting out the cider. It worked.

Thanks for the tips. I'll hunt around the grocery stores this weekend. Never bought frozen AJ before, assuming there are directions on how much water to use per container...

I've been using Musselman's from Wally Mart as well. I only have my first two batches of cider going using S-04 and Nottingham but Musselman's seems to be working well so far - chugging along nicely. It smells good anyway.

Picked up 6 gallons of Musselman's fresh pressed apple cider. Looks and tastes legit. Added 2 jars of some omish farm honey into primary and the long journey begins!

I think Musselman's cider at Walmart is UV pastuerized.

I love this stuff. It's my go to when the local farm press is shut down. But how do you know when Walmart has it. It's not always on the shelf!

Last year I think all the Musselman's was gone by May or June. And it was gone everywhere in the U.S. as far as I could find out. We cidermakers are using up all the Musselman's!

Most stores sell "simply apple" in the cold juice section near the orange juice. Its usually about $4 /64 oz but it goes on sale frequently for $3. Makes good cider, way better than the cheapo walmart or costco apple juice.

Last year I think all the Musselman's was gone by May or June. And it was gone everywhere in the U.S. as far as I could find out. We cidermakers are using up all the Musselman's!

The Musselmans website has a product finder. It said there was nothing within thirty miles. I just happened to be in Walmart and found 6 gal. (+ 2 gal. Spiced) cider on the bottom shelf way in the back. So I grabbed it! I wonder if they'll get more.

Most stores sell "simply apple" in the cold juice section near the orange juice. Its usually about $4 /64 oz but it goes on sale frequently for $3. Makes good cider, way better than the cheapo walmart or costco apple juice.

Actually, it does not make better cider unless your target is increased fusel production. Cloudy juice produces higher levels of fusels than clear juice.

Actually, it does not make better cider unless your target is increased fusel production. Cloudy juice produces higher levels of fusels than clear juice.

Never heard that before. The vast majority of cider produces around here use
cloudy juice and many proclaim that they do not use concentrates or industrial processed juice in their cider. I searched around and can find nothing about clear juice being better for cider.
But all I'm saying is that I've used the Simply Apple and it made better cider (for my tastes) than the clear juice from the big stores.

Here's a couple of quotes and the source:

"The most popular and undeniably best apple juice to use is fresh pressed sweet cider from a local orchard."
"Bottom line: Look for cloudy cider/juice."

Source for above quotes: http://www.howtomakehardcider.com/fruit-yeast.html

But if using clear juice works for you, then that's a bonus, its easy to get and not expensive.
Cheers and Happy New Year!

Never heard that before. The vast majority of cider produces around here use
cloudy juice and many proclaim that they do not use concentrates or industrial processed juice in their cider. I searched around and can find nothing about clear juice being better for cider.

The volatile flavour of cider is in most part qualitatively identical to that of all other fermented beverages and derives to a large extent from the yeast utilising well-known biosynthetic pathways (Berry 1995). Ciders have traditionally been regarded as high in 'fusel alcohols', particularly 2-phenyl ethanol, which has often been attributed to their low nutrient status. It is also known that higher fusel levels are generated from cloudy rather than clear juice fermentations (Beech 1993).

http://www.cider.org.uk/abridge.htm

Beech F.W. (1993) Yeasts in Cider Making. In The Yeasts (2nd edn.) Vol 5. 'Yeast Technology'. Rose A.H. and Harrison J.S. (eds). Academic Press, London. pp 169 - 213.

IMO from my experience...fresh pressed cider or cloudy juice from the supermarket makes more appley tasting cider than clear apple juice or FAJC.

That looks tempting -- but it's 5 gallons of concentrate. I assume you cut it 3:1

I'm not ready to do 20 gallon batches, and I don't have the freezer space freeze 2/3 of it in quart containers.

I wonder if they use different varieties of apples, or just process them different to extract more tannin from the seeds and skins?

Of course, 2-3 years of experience from USA cider makers trumps a few hundred years of British cider making knowledge and research. Of course it does, because there is no way that they possibly could have, you know, performed scientific study adequately...

That looks tempting -- but it's 5 gallons of concentrate. I assume you cut it 3:1

I'm not ready to do 20 gallon batches?

I am, well actually 4 - 5 gal. batches!
Any idea what the cost is? Just think you can add just enough water to hit your target S. G. and ABV.

So I made the cider using everyones recommendations, Musselman's Apple Cider. I purchased 6 gallons of the cloudy stuff, used the same Champagne yeast I've used in the past and now finally tasting the stuff. I like a really dry sparkling cider.

It's OK when comparing to the cloudy cider I get from the Apple Festival. This batch produced a lot of fusel's, the next day after drinking I have a big headache. Had to take Advil :(

I did add a big jar of organic raw honey to the batch to boost percentage so that might be a contributing factor. In the past I would add brown sugar or corn sugar.

I'm going to let this batch sit for awhile and see if it mellows out with the fusels.

Back