Purchase grain less that 1# amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_CdY

Full time woodturner, part time brewer...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an ale recipe from a friend that requires 7# 10oz of a grain. How/where do I purchase grains to fit my recipe where I only need a 10oz. I realize I need to grind my own but I'm new and not quite ready to take that leap.

I did find Atlantic Brewers Supply and Brewer Dude, are they others that will sell less than full pound?

I have an ale recipe from a friend that requires 7# 10oz of a grain. How/where do I purchase grains to fit my recipe where I only need a 10oz. I realize I need to grind my own but I'm new and not quite ready to take that leap.

I did find Atlantic Brewers Supply and Brewer Dude, are they others that will sell less than full pound?
I just placed an order with Atlantic. Partly because of being able to buy the exact amount of some specialty grains that I wanted.

Thanks guys, I think I have a pretty good list of suppliers. Of course at some point I want to purchase grains in larger quantities and store them properly so I can create my own unique blends of grains.

Do you have a scale that measures in ounces or grams? If you plan on doing all-grain and using recipes (rather than kits), then a scale should be on your list of things-to-buy. Buy 8 pounds, then measure the amount you need. That might be cheaper than buying a specific number of ounces from another vendor.

Do you have a scale that measures in ounces or grams? If you plan on doing all-grain and using recipes (rather than kits), then a scale should be on your list of things-to-buy. Buy 8 pounds, then measure the amount you need. That might be cheaper than buying a specific number of ounces from another vendor.

Thanks, I do have a good scale and I actually looked at very option and priced it both ways, there was a savings but not to great, as long as the company will package each grain in separate bags it should work great.

www.ritebrew.com

One-man operation in Wisconsin, essentially unaffected by the current situation, at least online (he does have a brick-and-mortar shop, I understand). Will custom mill as little as one ounce of anything he has in stock. Will custom blend recipes if you like, too.

I highly recommend - got a shipment within 48 hours last week.

Order the grains you need in the amounts you need for now but put a mill on your short list. I got a Corona style mill early on and started buying 50 pound sacks of base grains and at least twice as much specialty grains I needed for a recipe. You then have grains on hand and you can brew when an unexpected date occurs. You also save a lot of money if you buy in bulk or at price break amounts.

+1 for Atlantic Brew. Amazing people, you can buy as little as 1 oz, and have it packaged anyway you want (milled, unmilled, with other grains for a recipe, separate). Plus the prices are very competitive. Been buying from them for years.

+1 for Atlantic Brew. Amazing people, you can buy as little as 1 oz, and have it packaged anyway you want (milled, unmilled, with other grains for a recipe, separate). Plus the prices are very competitive. Been buying from them for years.
I just placed an order with them late Friday. Partly because they had pretty much everything I needed, grains by the ounce, and another post I saw saying he got his order shipped out in 24 hours of ordering a couple of days ago.

7# 10 oz is so close to 8# (6 oz difference) it would have made much more sense to order 8# from the best priced outfit that also mills well. Of course that best price should include shipping if it makes no sense to pick it up. Most LHBS will have what you need.

Differences among grain crush quality and brewing process are much greater than the 6 oz (= 5%) difference in the (base) grain. For example, mash and brewhouse efficiencies vary wildly among brewers, anywhere in the 65-85% range.

Now 10 oz vs. 16 oz in a caramel or darker roasted malt will show up, sure, that's a 38% difference. So for those you probably want it closer to the recipe.

Back