Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got done bottling the extract version of this. Followed the recipe exactly except used S-05 instead of S-04.

My OG was 1.068 and my FG went all the way down to 1.008.

I used 2 packs of S-05. What would cause my FG to drop down so much? I kept the temp around 65* for the first 4 days and then it hovered around 72* for the rest of the fermentation. It was fermenting for 4 weeks total.

Why did the FG end up so low?

The low FG might be related to the extract. It's possible you got extract that has less fermentable sugars and more non-fermentables.

Reno_eNVy said:
The low FG might be related to the extract. It's possible you got extract that has less fermentable sugars and more non-fermentables.

This would be the opposite, right? Less fermentable sugars would cause a higher higher final gravity.

This would be the opposite, right? Less fermentable sugars would cause a higher higher final gravity.

Yeah. In my experience, extract is usually a little less fermentable. I usually can't get much lower than 1.015 with it.

I just got done bottling the extract version of this. Followed the recipe exactly except used S-05 instead of S-04.

My OG was 1.068 and my FG went all the way down to 1.008.

I used 2 packs of S-05. What would cause my FG to drop down so much? I kept the temp around 65* for the first 4 days and then it hovered around 72* for the rest of the fermentation. It was fermenting for 4 weeks total.

Why did the FG end up so low?

It's the yeast. US05 is a monster and attenuates extremely well.. I just kegged a beer last night (fermented with US05) that finished at 1.006. I was aiming for a dry beer so I expected that. If I want to finish higher, I mash a few degrees higher than what the recipe calls for. Since you used extract and can't control mash temps, the yeast took you for a ride.

Brewing up a 10 gal batch of this now. I brewed two 5 gal batches last year. Apparently 1 lb of rice hulls for the 10 gal batch isn't enough :D Probably gonna take an hour to sparge

brew2enjoy said:
Brewing up a 10 gal batch of this now. I brewed two 5 gal batches last year. Apparently 1 lb of rice hulls for the 10 gal batch isn't enough :D Probably gonna take an hour to sparge

I used 2lbs, my first time to ever use them, and they worked great.

Yeah, I messed up. I've been staying/working in BFN eastern Nevada, working 14 hours every day for close to 6 months now so I'm not nearly as sharp as normal.

It indeed should have read "more fermentables" and "less non-fermentables"

My own recipe is near identical, and goes from 1.072 to 1.008ish everytime, with a small backboost of lactose. I have had nothing but rave reviews. Love the early fall warmer imho.

Yeah. I just finished bottling after a cold crash, and did end up adding a cup of lactose, along with an ounce of vanilla for that "whipped cream" finish.

I'll post picks in a few weeks and some tasting notes as well. I think it attenuated more because my mash temp dropped to 152 when I stirred in the pumpkin ;( Unfermented sample out of the bucket with the additions tasted awesome though! Spices need to mingle in the bottle a bit yet, but its a winner!

I did some experiments with lactose and vanilla extract in some Post Road Pumpkin Ale last night.

All experiments ended not-so-good. Nothing conclusive here because I was just f-ing around, but it made me consider skipping both in my next pumpkin beer.

It looks like a few people have used lactose in this at bottling...

WLP001 chewed mine from 1.069 down to 1.01, tastes a bit thin. I'd like to have the desired body that it should've had around 1.018. Any ball park on quantity of lactose to add?

Hey All - Apologies if this was already asked. I'm on a time crunch for my brew day tomorrow and want to get some prep done tonight. Has anyone had any luck baking the canned pumpkin the night before and keeping it cooled overnight? Make sense to keep it in the fridge overnight, let it warm up a bit tomorrow and get it right into the mash?

Cheers-

if your pumpkin is low in temperature it will destory your target mash temp. I had mine piping hot from the oven and heated my strike water a few degrees more than normal for my system and still came in low after dough in and adding pumpkin.

Hey All - Apologies if this was already asked. I'm on a time crunch for my brew day tomorrow and want to get some prep done tonight. Has anyone had any luck baking the canned pumpkin the night before and keeping it cooled overnight? Make sense to keep it in the fridge overnight, let it warm up a bit tomorrow and get it right into the mash?

Cheers-

See if your oven has a timer. I put mine in the night before with the timer set so it is ready when I wake up in the morning.

ClusterFunk said:

Cheers-

I baked mine at night before my last midnight shift and let it sit in the oven over night, and mashed in when I got home. Worked fine.

if your pumpkin is low in temperature it will destory your target mash temp. I had mine piping hot from the oven and heated my strike water a few degrees more than normal for my system and still came in low after dough in and adding pumpkin.

Agreed I baked mine a few hours before mashing in and then put it in a bowl covered so it was probably a bit warmer than room temp but it dropped my mash temp a decent and i had to heat another gallon to just get close to mash temp from the original post.

It looks like a few people have used lactose in this at bottling...

WLP001 chewed mine from 1.069 down to 1.01, tastes a bit thin. I'd like to have the desired body that it should've had around 1.018. Any ball park on quantity of lactose to add?

My first batch of this I added some lactose to it and it was one of my all time favorite beers I've made! It was fantastic! I am so pissed because I just added it as a last thought. From memory, which is probably off by a bit, I didn't add much. Pretty sure I only added around .35-.5 pounds of it. Just a slight bit but nothing crazy. Probably more around .5lb of it, but again can't remember.
I'm going to brew this beer up in another 3-4 weeks from now and will probably add around .5 lbs.
Let me know what you end up doing and how it turns out!

Prost!

My first batch of this I added some lactose to it and it was one of my all time favorite beers I've made! It was fantastic! I am so pissed because I just added it as a last thought. From memory, which is probably off by a bit, I didn't add much. Pretty sure I only added around .35-.5 pounds of it. Just a slight bit but nothing crazy. Probably more around .5lb of it, but again can't remember.
I'm going to brew this beer up in another 3-4 weeks from now and will probably add around .5 lbs.
Let me know what you end up doing and how it turns out!

Prost!

Ok!

I picked up a lb, I'll try and do some research but 1/2# was what I was thinking.

Also, I've never used it before, I am going to be getting only sweetness or body & sweetness

Was leaning towards bottling this originally but might keg it since I have a spot open. Anyone try it both ways with better results ??

Ok!

I picked up a lb, I'll try and do some research but 1/2# was what I was thinking.

Also, I've never used it before, I am going to be getting only sweetness or body & sweetness

A little of both. Just be careful, some people dont like lactose, so wohld suggest 1/4 lb to 1/2 lb at most then add if you want more.
Let me know what you think!

Brewed up a 2.5gal BIAB batch of this 3 weeks ago. Bottled it yesterday and it smelled/tasted great. Can't wait to try it in three weeks. Hopefully the weather will be more fall like. Thanks for sharing your recipe Reno_eNVy.

I was reading that good ferm temp for this beer is around 60? I chose to go with Wyeast 1056 - Cali Ale Yeast so I could prepare a starter. Will fermenting at 60 still be adequate for this yeast even though Wyeast recommends that this yeast only be used anywhere from 65 to 72? If 60 isn't the best ferm temp, what is?

Thanks!

Just finished racking this one to the carboy and boy does it taste delicious. SG is 1.040, a little low but compared to the last 2years where I didn't know what I was at, I'll take it. I also added an extra pound of crystal 60... Probably an oversight when ordering the ingredients.. Anyways I also used half a real pumpkin in addition to the canned pumpkin. Baked both at 350 for about 45 mins.. And put the canned pumpkin in the water while heating for the mash, and the real chunks of pumpkin I put in before the boil and left them in for entire time. Sample tasted amazing so it'll be interesting to see how this one turns out this year. Thanks again Reno for the original recipe!!

Followed the recipe to the t. Sparge was slow even with rice hulls but no issues. It looked perfect and smelled amazing. Thanks for the recipe.

Just finished racking this one to the carboy and boy does it taste delicious. SG is 1.040, a little low but compared to the last 2years where I didn't know what I was at, I'll take it. I also added an extra pound of crystal 60... Probably an oversight when ordering the ingredients.. Anyways I also used half a real pumpkin in addition to the canned pumpkin. Baked both at 350 for about 45 mins.. And put the canned pumpkin in the water while heating for the mash, and the real chunks of pumpkin I put in before the boil and left them in for entire time. Sample tasted amazing so it'll be interesting to see how this one turns out this year. Thanks again Reno for the original recipe!!

That extra pound of 60 may be a bit much. Let us know how it comes out.

Did anyone brew this on or around August 1st? I'm wondering how everyone's bottle carbonation is coming along.

Did anyone brew this on or around August 1st? I'm wondering how everyone's bottle carbonation is coming along.

brewed Aug 2nd, bottled Aug 27th...i refuse to touch it until at least October, Im hoping I can stay strong and not touch any of it until mid-Oct. I can't imagine it's anything close to ready for me at 2 weeks in the bottle!

jaydog2314 said:
brewed Aug 2nd, bottled Aug 27th...i refuse to touch it until at least October, Im hoping I can stay strong and not touch any of it until mid-Oct. I can't imagine it's anything close to ready for me at 2 weeks in the bottle!

I brewed my first batch of this last year. I posted on bottling day that I could hardly wait for the the three weeks for this to car b up when Reno_eNVy (the OP) replied. That this being a big beer needs more like 4 weeks to carb, but further to that this beer does not really taste it's best until about 8 weeks and boy was he right. I waited until week five and then had one bottle a week and it just kept getting better until week 8.
Patience is the toughest thing about this hobby, but letting this beer mature where the flavours really meld together is well worth it.
I brewed on Aug 9 this year and kegged last week. I have no intention of drinking it until mid October.

Kegged yesterday. I was more impressed with the sample early on but hoping everything will be fine. That being said I'm on the side of a pumpkin beer tasting like a slice of pie rather than a light pumpkin flavor. Can't wait to get it carbed.

I brewed this on 8-19. I've been taking gravity readings every so often to see how it's doing. Last week it was 1.018, so I though it was almost done. Three days ago it was 1.012, so I thought surely it was done. This morning it was 1.008. I don't know if this thing is ever gonna stop! If I remember correctly this one mashed a little on the low side; around 148. I guess that's why it's still going, right?

image-647392913.jpg

Already looking a lot better than it did last year. And this is just day 3!!!

And I agree this beer takes at least 4 weeks in the car boy, and then only gets better with time.

I brewed my first batch of this last year. I posted on bottling day that I could hardly wait for the the three weeks for this to car b up when Reno_eNVy (the OP) replied. That this being a big beer needs more like 4 weeks to carb, but further to that this beer does not really taste it's best until about 8 weeks and boy was he right. I waited until week five and then had one bottle a week and it just kept getting better until week 8.
Patience is the toughest thing about this hobby, but letting this beer mature where the flavours really meld together is well worth it.
I brewed on Aug 9 this year and kegged last week. I have no intention of drinking it until mid October.

I know I know, I just needed to hear it from someone to help keep me in check. I'm all out of homebrew and this is the only thing I have close. I need to brew something with a quick turnaround and soon!

I know I know, I just needed to hear it from someone to help keep me in check. I'm all out of homebrew and this is the only thing I have close. I need to brew something with a quick turnaround and soon!

I hear ya. My pipeline is empty as well other then 5G of this baby. But it tastes so much better when matured I am forcing myself to wait. Now I need a couple of consecutive brew days to fill the pipeline.

Back