Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this on Sunday and it sure smelled good. Ran into some problems though. I biab and the bag ripped with all the grains ( did a 10 gallon batch so almost 25 lbs of grain). As i lifted the bag out, 2-3 lbs of grain went into the wort. Spend 30 minutes dipping a strainer in getting all the grains out and lost quite a bit of wort doing so. Ended up with 10 gallons of 1.064 instead of the 11.5 I was shooting for. One fermenter sure has a lot of trub in it SL I am only going to able to keg about 8.5 gallons or so :(

It happens. 8.5G is better than no beer. haha

I grew up in Sayville, off Lincoln. John O'Rourke. Graduated '93

Staying on topic, I brewed this recipe with a few tweaks this past Saturday. Kept the same grain bill. Swapped in Liberty for the hops and used Wyeast Thames Valley for the yeast. Also changed the spicing. 3/4tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp allspice, and about 1/16 tsp clove. Was a bit nervous smelling the spice blend. Just didn't seem right. Then I added it to the boil. Smelled amazing. I wanted to dive in.

I think I ended up a little low on volume. Maybe 5 gallons, when I was shooting for 5.5. OG was 1.069.

I brewed this yesterday morning. I ended up boiling off more than I thought, so I added a gallon of distilled water to top off. I ended with about 11 gallons at 1.063. I used three packs of S-05. I rehydrated it at the recommendation of everyone. Oddly enough, this morning it was showing no signs of fermentation. I had it sitting at 58, so I bumped it up to 66 for the day to try to get it started. Usually when I just sprinkle the yeast on top I have activity by now. Should be fine though. Smells awesome. I used one of the little jars of pumpkin pie spice. I assume that's around 3Tbs. If anything it's a little less.

It happens. 8.5G is better than no beer. haha

I grew up in Sayville, off Lincoln. John O'Rourke. Graduated '93

Staying on topic, I brewed this recipe with a few tweaks this past Saturday. Kept the same grain bill. Swapped in Liberty for the hops and used Wyeast Thames Valley for the yeast. Also changed the spicing. 3/4tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp allspice, and about 1/16 tsp clove. Was a bit nervous smelling the spice blend. Just didn't seem right. Then I added it to the boil. Smelled amazing. I wanted to dive in.

I think I ended up a little low on volume. Maybe 5 gallons, when I was shooting for 5.5. OG was 1.069.

Small world! I swam with your brother Brian (if same family). Sayville class of '95 and my sister Danielle was class of 93. Just moved back to Sayville last year, this place a draw about it.

There are a bunch of brewers here, great place to live!

I hope my 8.5 gallons is enough though. Have to bring 5 gallons to a brew festival in October. First time serving at one and I hope it is good! Never brewed this recipe before and it was the only fall based beer that I had the ingredients for!

Small world! I swam with your brother Brian (if same family). Sayville class of '95 and my sister Danielle was class of 93. Just moved back to Sayville last year, this place a draw about it.

There are a bunch of brewers here, great place to live!

I hope my 8.5 gallons is enough though. Have to bring 5 gallons to a brew festival in October. First time serving at one and I hope it is good! Never brewed this recipe before and it was the only fall based beer that I had the ingredients for!

Different O'Rourkes, but I know Brian, they lived around the corner from us, and he was our paperboy. I knew your sister too. Too funny. Small world indeed.

Just moved my parents out to Moriches two weeks ago. My sister still lives in Sayville on Manton with her family.

Chris Kelley graduated from Sayville in '93 and is the LI Beer and Malt Enthusiasts. Not sure if it's the same club.

Different O'Rourkes, but I know Brian, they lived around the corner from us, and he was our paperboy. I knew your sister too. Too funny. Small world indeed.

Just moved my parents out to Moriches two weeks ago. My sister still lives in Sayville on Manton with her family.

Chris Kelley graduated from Sayville in '93 and is the LI Beer and Malt Enthusiasts. Not sure if it's the same club.

I've brewed with Chris before and his brother Gregg. I am going with them to the fest and brewing with that club. Great group of people!

This is still fermenting like crazy after pitching late Saturday night. Changed the blowoff and cleaned/sanitized everything and within 5 minutes we were bubbling again. I'm guessing the 1# of brown sugar and 2 packs of us05 will do it.

Has anyone tossed in a couple oz of special B into this?

Planning on making this this weekend and thought it might be a nice addition as well as a bourbon soaked vanilla bean

Seems like a lot of people have used vanilla extract or vanilla beans...

Any input as to a good amount of vanilla beans? I'd scrap and soak then add to primary after ferm has slowed.

1 or 2 beans ? Not looking for a vanilla beer, but a pumpkin beer with a hint of vanilla.

atimmerman88 said:

Any input as to a good amount of vanilla beans? I'd scrap and soak then add to primary after ferm has slowed.

1 or 2 beans ? Not looking for a vanilla beer, but a pumpkin beer with a hint of vanilla.

I have not added vanilla to this recipe but would think one would be max if you just want a hint. But even better would be soak a bean or two in vodka for a couple of weeks to infuse the flavour. Then you can dose in small amounts in the bottling bucket or keg until you hit the level you are happy with. You have complete control that way.

Any way you go I would be interested in the results. I thought of trying that myself but don't like to change more then one item at a time and for this go around I did a 50/50 split of two row and Maria otter.

atimmerman88 said:

I didn't do vanilla in this beer, but I did just make a vanilla oatmeal porter. I soaked 8 Madagascar vanilla beans in 16 oz of vodka, and used 2 oz of it in my 10 gallon batch. I think it is wonderful. Not too much. Not too little. I would think with this beer I would add half that so it didn't over power the pumpkin spice.

I'm starting to get worried. No krausen after 30 hours. Is that common? Mine usually takes off by now.

Meh, not to worry. Every fermentation is different. I'm sure it'll take off soon enough. Most likely fermentation has begun but isn't showing signs yet.

I'm starting to get worried. No krausen after 30 hours. Is that common? Mine usually takes off by now.

took mine longer than i normally see as well. i rehydrated both packets as well but once it did take off it went like crazy for days! krausen went all the way to the top of the bucket and a few inches up the blow off tube! as the old saying goes RDWHAHB :tank:

Checked on mine yesterday after having brewed it a week and a half ago. Lid was domed up and airlock was clogged. Cleared that and got a huge whiff of deliciousness. I can't wait until it is time to drink it.

I have to say, this is one pretty beer so far. Beautiful color while brewing and even the krausen looks like a white head on a freshly poured beer. I'm getting excited to take a gravity sample of this soon! Too bad my hydrometer broke last brew day :(

I have not added vanilla to this recipe but would think one would be max if you just want a hint. But even better would be soak a bean or two in vodka for a couple of weeks to infuse the flavour. Then you can dose in small amounts in the bottling bucket or keg until you hit the level you are happy with. You have complete control that way.

Any way you go I would be interested in the results. I thought of trying that myself but don't like to change more then one item at a time and for this go around I did a 50/50 split of two row and Maria otter.

I'm planning on soaking to make an extract, I'll probably soak in some Maker's 46.

Might be the best way to do it, make a tincture and dose accordingly at bottling.

What about bottle carbing with maple syrup? Has anyone done that yet to add some further complexity and flavor to the recipe? Or is there enough going on to not worry about it?

jaydog2314 said:
took mine longer than i normally see as well. i rehydrated both packets as well but once it did take off it went like crazy for days! krausen went all the way to the top of the bucket and a few inches up the blow off tube! as the old saying goes RDWHAHB :tank:
I have krausen! Woohoo!

Anyone tried this sans-brown sugar? I really want to dial the octane down a little without compromising body and flavor. The pumpkin ale I brought to thanksgiving last year was a hit...and I spent most of black Friday retching in bed because of it!

Anyone tried this sans-brown sugar? I really want to dial the octane down a little without compromising body and flavor. The pumpkin ale I brought to thanksgiving last year was a hit...and I spent most of black Friday retching in bed because of it!

What about using a few tablespoons of mollasses instead? I thought brown sugar was just white sugar with molasses ? Figure out how much is in 1 lb and then just use it instead. Might give the same flavor without the extra alcohol addition?

Getting ready to brew this. Has anybody used light and dark brown sugar? And if so preferred one over the other? Or what does the op use with success?

I know everyone's tastes are different, but after brewing the extract recipe and fermentingt for three weeks, the beer doesn't seem as pumpkin spiced as I'd like. My favorite was/is Michigan Brewing Co. Screamin' Pumpkin.

My question is, should I bottle now and wait then taste. Or move to secondary and add 1/2-3/4 additional Tbs pumpkin spice for a week before bottling? I had good (not great) fermentation temp control and went from 1.070 to 1.014 after 3wks. It tastes a little harsh. I haven't brewed an extract beer that finished this low yet so help is appreciated.

this is my first attempt at pumpkin ale but I would think if you aren't getting enough flavor to your liking you could add more of the spices either for a few days in the secondary or even right at bottling, assuming you mix them up really well.

I believe that my ferm temps for S04 may have been a little high and the esters and phenols have diluted the spice flavors. I"m thinking I'll add a pie spice tincture at bottling time since it's currently under spiced for my tastes. Does anyone have any advice/measurements for creating a tincture for my 5 gallon batch?

Wow! Brewed Sunday and checked gravity on Wednesday and already at 1.018! Us05 can be fast but I didn't expect this fast while fermenting at 60!

Been a year since I made this and I remember putting the pumpkin in a bag and removing before going into the carboy. Anyone keeping it in during fermentation?

Been a year since I made this and I remember putting the pumpkin in a bag and removing before going into the carboy. Anyone keeping it in during fermentation?

I know a guy who did half his batch primary in a big pumpkin once. With all the things that could go wrong there, I would think just putting it IN your primary would be quite tasty. I wouldn't keep it in for your boil though. Maybe have it waiting in your primary while you hop?

I was going through the ingredients that I have at my house today and the only brown sugar I have is "light brown sugar" is that what should be used in the brew?

I'm sure this was addresses already but searching through over 80 pages could get a bit daunting.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Wow. Been bubbling like crazy since sat pm. Reading is now at 1.014. Sample tasted great too. I guess the last 2 weeks of this suggested for sitting with the yeast is to clean everything up?

Preparations

image-3850853908.jpg

Just tried a sample using a 50-50 of Maris Otter and 2-Row split.

It does taste good, and will still be heavily enjoyed.. however i don't think MO compliments this one that well.. for those interested I would stick with the recipe and use all 2-row for your base.

But that/s just my 2c, take it for what it's worth.. YMMV.

MikeCass said:
I was going through the ingredients that I have at my house today and the only brown sugar I have is "light brown sugar" is that what should be used in the brew?

I'm sure this was addresses already but searching through over 80 pages could get a bit daunting.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Yes, most use light brown sugar.

Just tried a sample using a 50-50 of Maris Otter and 2-Row split.

It does taste good, and will still be heavily enjoyed.. however i don't think MO compliments this one that well.. for those interested I would stick with the recipe and use all 2-row for your base.

But that/s just my 2c, take it for what it's worth.. YMMV.

Interesting to hear. I have a batch sitting in my fermenter done with a 50/50 2row/MO split. I will be kegging soon and likely wait 3-4 weeks before carbing and drinking. I will report back my thoughts as well.

Mine has only been fermenting for 3.5 days. All this talk about hydrometer readings, and my newly formed krausen, got me excited; so I just had to check mine. Its gone from 1.063 to 1.058. It tastes just like pumpkin pie. I may never eat pumpkin pie again if this tastes half as good when it's done as it does now.

i have a couple questions and will be brewing this within a few days.

1. I put this into beersmith and its only showing 14.2 on the IBU, should I ramp up my 60 min addition of hallertauer.

2. what is the proceedure for prepping the pumpkin again?

3. How does the pumpkin affect the lauder? I read alot in the beginning about rice hulls... so do I need rice hulls and more strike/sparge water?

4. Finding libbys pumpkin with out spices is not that hard right?

PastorofMuppets said:

1. I put this into beersmith and its only showing 14.2 on the IBU, should I ramp up my 60 min addition of hallertauer.

3. How does the pumpkin affect the lauder? I read alot in the beginning about rice hulls... so do I need rice hulls and more strike/sparge water?

1. I don't know.
2. Spread it on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for an hour, then let cool.
3. I used rice hulls since that's what the OP recommended. First time to use them; they are great! I used 2qt/lb of grain and that was about all my mash tun could hold. Actually, it didn't hold the last gallon of it. I did a 10 gallon batch.
4. I see the pumpkin in every grocery store I frequent. Right next to the pre-spiced pie mix.

I ramped up my hop addition to cover the loss in IBU since the aa% of my hops were much lower. I think I needed about .25 oz more per addition.
Though this beer isn't really about the hops, I don't think it will really matter much if the IBU is slightly off.

G dangit! I just made 10 gallons of this beer and followed the recipe to the T. FORGOT TO ADD THE SPICE COMPLETELY!?!?! I am about to pitch my yeast right now. WHO HAS DONE THIS?? is my beer ruined? can I add it to primary or secondary? Do I make a "spice tea" cool it and add it?? what should I do to save these 10 gallons of precious punkin' ale??

-OG 1.064

Please Help!

I had good results last year adding spices to secondary in a Christmas stout. I soaked them in a Tbsp or two of vodka for 30 minutes or so then just dumped it all in.

Back