Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anybody ever consider racking from the primary to a fresh bourbon barrel for a few days to a week? i know reno was hesitant about previous suggestions for bourbon and vanilla additions as he didn't want to overpower the more subtle pumpkin notes. i think it has potential to be super tasty. curious what others think!

I just brewed this beer and my OG came out a little low, 1.058 to be exact. I noticed a lot of sediment when I pulled a gravity sample while transferring to the primary. My sample flask/tube probably had about two inches of clear wort and the rest was pretty thick sediment. My question: would this give me an inaccurate gravity reading or does that not affect the hydrometer since it's reading the sugar content? First time I'm missed my OG by that much and was just trying to nail down the reason. Thanks.

So I brewed this a few weeks ago and followed the recipe exactly. After tasting and a FG check I feel like there is not enough pumpkin/spice flavor to it. Has anyone else noticed this? Will it become more pronounced after carbonation? Should I maybe just make a tincture with some vodka and pie spice to add? I was considering soaking cinnamon sticks in vodka and adding the liquid

So I brewed this a few weeks ago and followed the recipe exactly. After tasting and a FG check I feel like there is not enough pumpkin/spice flavor to it. Has anyone else noticed this? Will it become more pronounced after carbonation? Should I maybe just make a tincture with some vodka and pie spice to add? I was considering soaking cinnamon sticks in vodka and adding the liquid

I've made this recipe 3x so far, each time changing a little for my taste. The last batch I made, I did 10# of pumpkin for 8 gallons. I also upped the nutmeg by 1tsp and vanilla bean by 1 bean for the last 2 batches. In the final batch, I made it as a creme brulee version, but that is a different topic.

give it a couple more weeks. i tasted mine a few weeks in and was a little disappointed when the pumpkin and spice didn't come through - it tasted harsh and hoppy and green. two weeks later, it's like it was a different beer. just kegged it yesterday and it's like previous batches.

give it a couple more weeks. i tasted mine a few weeks in and was a little disappointed when the pumpkin and spice didn't come through - it tasted harsh and hoppy and green. two weeks later, it's like it was a different beer. just kegged it yesterday and it's like previous batches.

It tastes completely balanced and drinkable, just not as strong as I was expecting in the pumpkin department. I’ll give t a few more weeks before making any additions

I had the exact same experience. I gave it 6 weeks in the primary, then 2 weeks to bottle condition. When I tasted at bottling I barely noticed the pumpkin. Just having a glass now and it's amazing. Very happy with this brew.

One pretty major difference I found was it fermented out to about 1.010 for me (OG was right on target at 1.065). So I've got about a 7.2% on my hands. Which I do not mind at all!

I don't know what accounts for that difference, as the OP said it should have ended around 1.017. Are the yeasts we use in 2017 better than those available in 2009? I used SF-05. I suspect my non-existent temperature control may have had an effect as well. I had it sitting at about 70-72 ambient in my basement. It still came out great though! Many thanks to the OP!

I had the same issue with over attenuation in almost all of my brews last year. My thermometer was out of whack and I was mashing lower than my target temp. I bought a new thermometer and started hitting my numbers.

apollomc what was your mash temp? if it was lower, your wort contained more fermentable sugars and fermented on the drier side ("malt" = more alcohol = lower temp). if higher, the opposite applies. my most recent batch ended up with an fg similar to yours. it happens. try and mash higher next time.

if i could get anywhere close to the weyerbacher imperial pumpkin ale for my next batch i be *@%$# happy as can be.

apollomc what was your mash temp? if it was lower, your wort contained more fermentable sugars and fermented on the drier side ("malt" = more alcohol = lower temp). if higher, the opposite applies. my most recent batch ended up with an fg similar to yours. it happens. try and mash higher next time.

if i could get anywhere close to the weyerbacher imperial pumpkin ale for my next batch i be *@%$# happy as can be.

Ah, interesting. I'm always learning something new with this hobby! In any case, I don't think I'd change it even if I could. I think it came out perfect, and if (when!) I make it again I'll probably shoot for the same outcome.

This was my first all grain attempt, and I used the BIAB method on my stove top in a kettle. So my temp wasn't perfectly constant as I had to apply low heat throughout the process. I thought I actually had it on the high side, upper 150s to low 160s, but during the cool down on this batch is where I discovered my thermometer was about 10 degrees high. So I think during my mash I really had it around upper 140s to low 150s. Which makes sense as to the FG.

I brewed again on Saturday and I have now upgraded to a cooler mash tun, so I can control my mash temp a lot better now.

anyone ever try adding pumpkin to the boil, like a fwh, or 60 min addition. I ask because I usually brew 10 gal batches and my mash cooler is only 11.25 so I dont think I can fit the pumpkin in there with the grains.....

The last one I brewed I roasted the squash and put half in the mash and half in the boil in a muslin bag worked out fine. I would imagine the higher heat releases more pumpkin goodness anyway.

anyone ever try adding pumpkin to the boil, like a fwh, or 60 min addition. I ask because I usually brew 10 gal batches and my mash cooler is only 11.25 so I dont think I can fit the pumpkin in there with the grains.....
I use Libby's in the boil (30 minutes), not in the mash. There's no reason to bake it.

is everyone really using 2 packs of s05 for this instead of 1 pack?....im afraid two might over attenuate past 1.017....

Looking forward to brewing this soon, and want to go with original recipe.
To those who have brewed with brown sugar, light or dark and are you boiling for 60 min or adding late?
Thank you

Looking forward to brewing this soon, and want to go with original recipe.
To those who have brewed with brown sugar, light or dark and are you boiling for 60 min or adding late?
Thank you

I go light and 60 min boil. And yes, 2 packs of S-04 does me right on target. Last batch (brewed June 3, currently in bottles in a cool dark place) og’d at 1.064 and I pulled it at 1.018ish.

Brewed this three weeks ago I used 3 cans baked natural pumpkin in mash, 1lb light brown sugar and cut spices to two tsp. Fermentation seemed healthy used two packs rehydrated us05 at 64 deg for 7 days then rose to 70 where it's been sitting two weeks still in primary and is at 1.019. (mashed a little higher with different thermometer because i was getting consistant low fg).
I was excited to try sample but wow was i dissapointed. The taste is not malty or spicy but more like green and sourish.
I have quite a few batches under my belt and would like to think i can rule out poor sanitation.
Anyone else have a similar experience and had to leave in primary longer to improve or any other ideas what might have happened?
Thank you

brewed this 3 years now. this year im leaving out the pumpkin bcs its a giant pain in the rear. and i think the spices are what actually make it.

@shortyz right, I think - we don’t actually like pumpkin. We like the spices/flavors traditionally used in pie - sugar, cinnamon, clove, allspice, etc. and the pumpkin is just a carrier.

Brewed this recently. Replaced the vicotry for biscuit malt. Added lactose and used London ale yeast. Abv is 5.6% and it's currently carbing. I used two tins of pumpikin. Spread them out on a baking sheet cooked for 20 mins then spread dark molasses over the top for another 15. Added to mash. Tried a little whilst transferring it to keg. Flavours seemed right on the money. Can't wait to try a poor. I did use pectic enzyme to clear it up which worked. A table spoon did the trick.

I disagree with folks saying Pumkin doesn't add anything. I think it all harmonizes well and you need the pumkin in it. Just be sure to add it during the mash and not later.

Anyone ever get a green apple like flavor on this one? Third time brewing and first time with this outcome.

Tried this recipe AG. Pretty good. Was 1.070 post boil OG.
Had to bitter with cascade instead since I somehow only ended up with 1oz of Haller which I saved for the end of the boil.
Primary for 3 weeks. No secondary, just ran it through a bouncer filter into serving keg. Fermented at 60* in a kegmenter at 5 psi.

I'm not huge on amber ales but this is really a nice, festive brew that everyone seemed to enjoy. Will brew again. ABV was 6.75 or so iirc.

Time to get this thread rolling again for the year. Just chiming in to say I can't wait to brew this again! Going to brew it at the end of the month.

I'll probably be making mine in August this year. Already Planning a pipeline of fall beers to brew! Pumpkin ale, an Oktoberfest and I think an English Bitter. Maybe a brown ale (haven't made the style yet).

Brewed on 6/30. First use of the freezer fermentation chamber instead of ice bath. Looking forward to seeing how that impacts my beers going forward. Screwed up and put 2 1/2 tablespoons of cinnamon in at the end of the boil. I hope that doesn’t ruin it. We’ll see I guess. Fermented at 65 for a week and upped it to 68 for the last week. I’ll transfer to secondary on Sunday for a few weeks and then into a keg to condition until late September.

I'll probably be making mine in August this year. Already Planning a pipeline of fall beers to brew! Pumpkin ale, an Oktoberfest and I think an English Bitter. Maybe a brown ale (haven't made the style yet).

I've got a bitter on tap right now, it's phreaking great. It's actually what you'd call an ESB I guess, at 5%.

Going to be brewing this after work this evening. Going to be doing BIAB and after reading most of the thread I believe I will be steeping the pumpkin while heating my water to strike temp. I love pumpkin beers and I hope I can do this recipe justice! Will report back how the brew day goes.

Brew day went great, minus one little hiccup.

Steeped the pumpkin as I heated my strike water. There was a noticeable pumpkin/squash aroma to the water as I did this. Nailed my mash temp of 156. I even remembered brown sugar and the spices!

After partly cooling, I checked my O.G. and I hit 1.069. Brewer’s Friend had an expected of 1.070, so I’d call that a win.

The hiccup was that I did not have any ice to cook the wort. I brew small 1.25 gallon batches so I always chill in an ice batch. So I got the wort as cool as I could with water and some popsicles, then I transferred to my little big mouth bubbler to sit in my ferm chamber over night. Since I had such a late brew day, over night ended up being only about 5 hours. I pitched 3/4 of a packet of US-05 this morning. Hoping it goes well!

With the brown sugar addition, beer smith has this attenuating down to 1.013....anyone using something other than Chico strain here, or just watching fermentation and stopping with cold crash when it hits 1017?

Just brewed this up yesterday! Did a 10g batch and slit it between us-05 and a slurry of Nottingham from a beer i just kegged! Both beers are rocking after 12hrs, and the Nottingham had a blowoff within 6hrs! Going to be a tasty brew! The hydo sample tasted great!
20190826_083815.jpeg

After a month in the fermenter, this brew has been in bottles 11 days now. I am notoriously impatient so I popped one open. The spices are a tad strong, but I know they will mellow after a couple more weeks conditioning. I couldn’t be happier with this brew!

IMG_3569.JPG

After 20 days in the bottle, my Punkin’ Ale has really gone from a good beer to an excellent beer that I am truly proud of. This is only my second all grain brew and it is by far my best beer yet. Thanks for the recipe!

IMG_3615.JPG

Latest posts

Back