Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after watching stouts youtube vid on grainfather and pumpkin beer, im a little scared. brewing today, i will report back.

has anyone added pumpkin spice extract and vanilla extract to a 5gal batch?
i added my spice in the boil, but the pumpkin flavor is still very subtle. Looking to add more spice after 4 weeks in primary.
If you guys have added extract, how much would you say for 5 gal batch to be a little heavy on the pumpkin spice and vanilla?
I like a good pumpkin ale with a nice punch-in-the-face spice flavor.
Looking also to add a hint of vanilla flavor to incorporate the "whipped cream" flavor as well.

has anyone added pumpkin spice extract and vanilla extract to a 5gal batch?
i added my spice in the boil, but the pumpkin flavor is still very subtle. Looking to add more spice after 4 weeks in primary.
If you guys have added extract, how much would you say for 5 gal batch to be a little heavy on the pumpkin spice and vanilla?
I like a good pumpkin ale with a nice punch-in-the-face spice flavor.
Looking also to add a hint of vanilla flavor to incorporate the "whipped cream" flavor as well.

I apply the same rules in cooking as brewing, dont use garbage ingredients. Order the real stuff. Hell you can even make pumpkin spice with raw ingredients and a mortar pestel/grinder. 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice and 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves. Theres nothing like fresh ground cloves.

The same applies with vanilla, buy fresh beans.

I am sparging as we speak and its a slow go, but shes going! (i used 1.5 of rice hulls and premixed all my grains) Hell next time i might up that to 2 pounds!

photo1(27).jpg

photo2(5).jpg

photo3(2).jpg

Yes, I agree with you on the quality of ingredients.
I made a mixture of pumpkin spice, cut up 1.5 vanilla beans, and put that into a jar with enough vodka to cover all of it.
Two weeks later I have a gooey blob of tasty pumpkin mess.
I guess i could toss the blob into a hop bag and throw that into the secondary.
Was only asking about the extract as I figured it would disperse better in the secondary than this gooey blob of deliciousness.

you can just pour it all into your secondary, any big stuff just sinks to the bottom..

got this baby on tap, had to get it going since i was having a big party and it was a massive hit with the guests. its so good, omg

Forgive me if this has been asked, there are over 2000 posts!

Is there a reason not to add the pumpkin to the boil after roasting it instead of to the mash? Thanks!

I'm currently brewing a pumpkin bock ale at this time. I started off by baking the pumpkin in the oven for about an hour. I cored the pumpkin then cut in small pieces used McCormick pp spice. Sprinkled it on top and used enough water to cover half of the pumpkin every few minutes stirring it.

I started the boil and heated the water to 150°f and I did a partial mash with it

But is there any reasoning behind not just treating the pumpkin like a 60 minute hop addition?

You want to to add grains and pumpkin when you start your wort and cook at about 150f to extract all the fermentable sugars.

I'm guessing if you boil it, it would heat the starch chains past the point of allowing them to be fermentable, similar if you mash too high, you're left with a wort that has too many sugars that cannot ferment out. Boiling is about 50 degrees higher than then temp you would mash at for a stout/porter.

I used a bock ale as the base for this recipe. It is the first time I tried making a pumpkin beer. I will keep everyone posted on its progress. At this point it is in a secondary and I tried a sample taste and it is pleasant.

Forgive me if this has been asked, there are over 2000 posts!

Is there a reason not to add the pumpkin to the boil after roasting it instead of to the mash? Thanks!

That could be a fun experiment: one batch mashing the pumpkin; one batch just adding it to the boil,

Going to transfer it to a bottling bucket add priming sugar and bottle it by this weekend and hopefully it will be ready by Thanksgiving.

Finally got it bottled. Racked it to a bottling bucket had a lot of sediment at the bottom(about a half gallon worth) abv is at 6.5%.

Update: the pumpkin ale has been bottled for a week now has good carbonation and the flavor is is very good. Has a good balance of hops and sweetness. Best drank as a dessert beer. Cheers

Very good question, this was the first time I brewed a pumpkin beer. It turned out pretty good and I will adjust the recipe and try different things. On a standpoint if you don't bake it I'm sure you will get some flavor from it but would you like to have that little more flavor and bump the abv a bit more? As for flavor if your making a 5 gallon batch I would go for a minimum of 5 lbs of pumpkins in it

This recipe just got me 2nd place out of 42 entries in the Spice, Herb, and Vegetable Beer Category at the Happy Holidays Homebrew Competition.:)

I still want to make this, but I'm wondering what's the fastest time from beginning to end it could be ready, without sacrificing taste? I don't know if my girlfriend will help me drink 5gallons of pumpkin beer in February 😃

I still want to make this, but I'm wondering what's the fastest time from beginning to end it could be ready, without sacrificing taste? I don't know if my girlfriend will help me drink 5gallons of pumpkin beer in February 😃

If you brew it in the next few weeks you should be good. I definitely recommend that you bake it first it will taste a lot better. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

If you brew it in the next few weeks you should be good. I definitely recommend that you bake it first it will taste a lot better. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks, I'm excited to try this recipe!

Hey so I bought all of the ingredients for this recipe intending to brew it in November but never got around to it. Does anyone have any ideas for another recipe I can brew using this same grain bill? I don't want to do pumpkin this late in the year

Hey so I bought all of the ingredients for this recipe intending to brew it in November but never got around to it. Does anyone have any ideas for another recipe I can brew using this same grain bill? I don't want to do pumpkin this late in the year

It's a pretty standard grain bill for a pale ale. Just get rid of the brown sugar, pumpkin, and spices. Move the 60 min hallertauer addition to 20 min, keep the 5 min hallertauer, and add a bittering hop of your choice at 60 min to bring it up to 35-40 IBU.

In Brewing Classic Styles the American Brown Ale uses those grains plus 40* and Chocolate.

Considering trying to make this an APA with the addition of some extra hops I have lying around. Possibly Simcoe and Centennial. Any ideas? I wouldn't use the pumpkin of course. Trying to figure out what to brew with this based on what I have at home before I leave town for the month. Original ingredient list was purchased to make my wife a pumpkin beer but a turn of events has changed her drinking beer for a while

Simcoe is a versatile hop and you can use it sparingly and get good results with it. I have been using it in a few batches(including a pumpkin beer). IMO you can utilize the flavor in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Considering trying to make this an APA with the addition of some extra hops I have lying around. Possibly Simcoe and Centennial. Any ideas? I wouldn't use the pumpkin of course. Trying to figure out what to brew with this based on what I have at home before I leave town for the month. Original ingredient list was purchased to make my wife a pumpkin beer but a turn of events has changed her drinking beer for a while

Hey no problem, the base of this beer is very good and very versatile. Plug it into a recipe calculator (I like brewersfriend), plug in your hops and adjust it to your tastes.You can't go wrong with this one.

Well it's about that time. I know that this is an old thread, but I spent 5 days when I first signed up reading all 232 pages of this recipe.
I figured I better brew it now so 4 weeks fermenting and at least 4 months in the bottle I should have it ready just in time for Thanksgiving
I scaled this down to a 2.5 gallon AG recipe from the first page.
I roasted the pumpkin this morning mashed in at 158* and added the pumpkin.
I've got 30 mins left of the 60 min mash.
I shall keep updating as things go.

Brewed about 5 weeks ago. Forgot to keg last week so it hung out in primary a little longer. OG of 1.069 and FG of 1.020. I really focused on managing fermentation temp this year (still no dedicated ferm chamber yet). Last years batch finished significantly lower and ended up being a little thin. Still a great beer. Mashed a little higher this year and ended up with something a little sweeter. The sample tasted excellent. I'll dial it in next year. Plan to let this one sit on gas for a month before tapping.

Back