Pumpkin's Effects on Cooler MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathPowe

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I tried to do a quick search on this and didn't turn anything up, so forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere -

My sweet sweet lady loves pumpkin beers so I was thinking I'd make a batch for her this weekend (I can't stand the stuff). I mash in a cooler and was planning to add a can of roasted pumpkin puree to the mash (with a bunch of rice hulls) per what I've seen in many different recipes.

My question, for those of you who have mashed pumpkin/pumpkin puree in your cooler mashtuns, is whether or not this stuff is going to leave a pumpkin flavor in my mashtun. If I go to make a delicious IPA for the next batch and I taste pumpkin I'm not gonna be happy... at all.

So, has anyone had issues with this? Any responses are appreciated. Thanks!

You have nothing to worry about. I've done it twice with no issues.

+1 to this. Never had any issues with pumpkin residue. But I always rinse well after. I probably only clean my cooler MLT with oxyclean once ever 6 batches, never had any issues between beers.

No need to worry about it...I just made a pumpkin saison two weeks ago. All you have to do is clean it out well. You really shouldn't need rice hulls either, unless you're using a very high percentage of pumpkin in the mash.

Awesome. Thanks for the responses everyone. Sounds like I'll be good to go with a solid cleaning. Overthinking it a bit I guess but, like I said, I can't get into pumpkin-flavored things.

Anyway, I appreciate the input. Happy brewing.

I just made a pumpkin ale a few weeks back. Wash well like everyone above said and you will be fine. And good call on the rice hulls, I forgot those when I mashed and regretted it :)

Awesome. Thanks for the responses everyone. Sounds like I'll be good to go with a solid cleaning. Overthinking it a bit I guess but, like I said, I can't get into pumpkin-flavored things.

Anyway, I appreciate the input. Happy brewing.

I've never found the flavor of pumpkin to come through much in beer; at least, of the example I've tried. It's always a very subtle character if it's even perceptible. It's mostly about the "pie spicing" that helps to draw my mind to actual pumpkin.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the vast majority of what people attribute to the 'flavor' of pumpkin beers is actually the flavor of the pumpkin spice, which doesn't get anywhere near the MLT (or, at least, it hasn't in any recipe I've seen). fwiw, I don't even think an extra thorough cleaning of your MLT (beyond what you'd normally do) is necessary :)

I did get a bit of discoloration after my pumpkin batch a few weeks ago but no smell. I left a oxyclean soak overnight. no issues

Back