Pumpkin wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the only thing you get from actual pumpkin is color(a couple PPG but not much). Unless you're doing AG it won't matter. For AG if you put the pumpkin in the mash that much will make a stuck sparge more likely.
I used a whole pie pumpkin in 3 gallons of beer last year FWIW. No idea on the weight though a quick google says they typically run <6lbs

About the only thing you get from actual pumpkin is color(a couple PPG but not much). Unless you're doing AG it won't matter. For AG if you put the pumpkin in the mash that much will make a stuck sparge more likely.
I used a whole pie pumpkin in 3 gallons of beer last year FWIW. No idea on the weight though a quick google says they typically run <6lbs

Double check what forum you're in :) Doubt the OP will mash or sparge with wine!

Just based on the Jack Keller recipe for pumpkin wine ( http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques53.asp) I'd say go for 2 gallons. But experimentation is part of what makes this hobby fun, so if you use two pounds let us know how it turns out!

Depends on how thick it is I don't want syrup if I get two gallons out of it that would be good too. 2 gallons will give me enough to experiment with spices.

Should I use pectic enzyme? The Jack Keller recipe calls for it and the one I'm basing my recipe off of does not.

I used pectic enzyme as per kellers recipe for the batch I just started. I can't imagine not using it considering how dense pumpkin is... then again I am a noobie wine maker, but on the Keller website he explains how the enzyme works that might be something you enjoy reading!

Ok so I took all the 1 gallon Pumpkin recipes I had and combined the additives and this is what I added to my must before pitching yeast which I will do this evening I just made a yeast starter out of he must in the primary. I did not add tannins because I have 1 lb of raisins in the must. What does everyone think.

Pectic Enzyme 1 tsp
Yeast Nutrient 1 tsp
Yeast Energizer 1/4 tsp
Acid Blend 3 tsp

Going to spice after Primary fermentation.
Also checked SG it is at 1.076 and I think I will start it there I dont want the ABV to be to high I'm shooting for the Pumpkin Pie taste.

Ok so I took all the 1 gallon Pumpkin recipes I had and combined the additives and this is what I added to my must before pitching yeast which I will do this evening I just made a yeast starter out of he must in the primary. I did not add tannins because I have 1 lb of raisins in the must. What does everyone think.

Pectic Enzyme 1 tsp
Yeast Nutrient 1 tsp
Yeast Energizer 1/4 tsp
Acid Blend 3 tsp

Going to spice after Primary fermentation.
Also checked SG it is at 1.076 and I think I will start it there I dont want the ABV to be to high I'm shooting for the Pumpkin Pie taste.

If you read the container of yeast energizer it should say that it's only for slow or stuck fermentation... I'm not sure you should put it in at the start unless you are repeating a recipe that had a slow fermentation

Back